Logo

Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke sealed carb

Yesimbs

I'm not sure of the exact year of the motor as it came with the sailboat I bought a while back. When I started looking around on it I noticed the bottom cover on the carb was missing where the plunger sits. Then above that the hole where the plunger shaft is supposed to go through is sealed. Am I totally missing something here? Like is this some kind of modification. Do I just need to go and buy a whole new carb? the motor cranks and runs for a second if i spray a little starting fluid but then just dies. Thank you for any help

i couldn't figure out how to post the pictures so here are the links to them

https://imgur.com/mXA7zKW
https://imgur.com/9wlJBTO
https://imgur.com/Ws8VU61

Last edited:
Year is irrelevant for servicing Tohatsu/Nissan outboards.
Model is critical. Exact model. Serial is good to have as well.
The North American version of the 9.8 does not have any accelerator pump; it's not needed. The EU version is set leaner, so it needs a blast of gas when accelerating.
So, your carburetor is normal; perfect as is.

002-21051-0AF_FIG06.jpg

Oh man thank-you so much. I looked at that image for the longest time and never realised the smaller box said EU. Thank you for helping me out

So i took the carb off and apart and the inside was a mess. Both the nozzles where broken and there was hard calcium build up everywhere. I'm deciding to just get a whole new carb since they are only a couple hundred bucks but most of them i have found are the eu model with the accelerator pump. If i get one of those will it be a direct fit or do i need to find the same one I had before

There are 2 different US versions. One for electric choke (as on Remote --EP-- motors) and the other for manual choke, F type. They are not interchangeable. The choke plate operates in reverse from one to the other.

CARBURETOR, F9.8A2/A3 (F)$196.20

CARBURETOR, F9.8A2/A3 (P)$230.93

The EU version is not available in North America.

There are 2 different US versions. One for electric choke (as on Remote --EP-- motors) and the other for manual choke, F type. They are not interchangeable. The choke plate operates in reverse from one to the other.

CARBURETOR, F9.8A2/A3 (F)$196.20

CARBURETOR, F9.8A2/A3 (P)$230.93

The EU version is not available in North America.

Brand new carburetor and smack it on there and now she's running like a dream! Thank you so much for your help.

The last thing I need to do now is buy the adapter pieces for the remote control cables. I've already removed tiller and purchased the rightsized cables that I needed to run to my existing controls so I'm hoping that I can just buy the linkage components from Tohatsu to connect the cables to the throttle and the clutch on the engine itself. Looking at the breakdown diagrams it seems like a pretty straightforward install

As long as your RC box uses standard Morse cables, you can get throttle and shift. If you bought the P version of the carb, you can also get the electric choke.
Assuming you stayed with the F type carb, and depenting on serial number, get the bits for the SRC kit:

3V2838802MR.C. FITTING ASSY F8A2/9.8A2 031096XD~$146.47

If you have power tilt, you will need an additional cord to accommodate that.

Paul,
Thanks so much for your posts! I put one of these Euro version carbs on my 9.8 and it was stalling on load. Would idle fine. I noticed similarly to what Yesimbs questioned in his post, that the euro had an accelerator pump versus the USA version.
I think I can adjust the accelerator pump to activate earlier in the throttle curve and get that boost that I need to prevent the stall.
It was hard to put the puzzle together for me and your post nailed it.
I have benefited in the past from your posts on this engine also. The engine makes oil!
Replaced the fuel pump and thought it was better but it came back
Suspect the over pressurized epa compliant fuel tank pushing fuel past the worn out needle valve then on to the engine. Been running it out of fuel and disconnecting.
So tks again. Happy boating!
Barry
F31 Corsair

Back