Logo

1971 Mercury 800 / 80 HP

What other trouble shooting has been done ?----Is the distributor turning ?--------Are you getting spark out of the coil itself ?

If tested the coil. I replaced some of the wiring because it was pretty bad corroded. I tested the switch box from what I watched a video on. Mine seems to be good? If I tested it right ? And yes the distributor does turn. I'm getting Fuel. I'm pretty mechanically inclined as far as the automotive goes. I'm thinking that maybe someone messed with the timing before got the boat. I appreciate response thanx Roger

Question in post # 2 ------Are you getting spark out of the coil that jumps a gap of 1 cm out of the coil , yes or no ?

If spark comes out of the coil you have an issue with distributor cap / rotor.------Be careful with these parts as they are pricey.-----No hammer or brute force to be used.

I don't have spark coming out of the distributor cap. I used a spark tested i hooked up from the coil wire to the tester and cranked it over with i could see the spark between the probes on the tester. I don't know if that makes sense. But while I had the distributor cap off i did notice the center of the cap where that spring loaded piece is .a piece is broke off.

Did you read post #6 carefully ?----Perhaps repair that with epoxy or look for a used one.----Should be easy to find.----No longer available new from Mercury.

Last edited:
Back