Logo

Yet more 7.4L Raw Water pump issues

sandkicker

Outstanding Contributor
Tried to use my SBC manual for this issue but it has some inconsistencies and I don't have the 7.4L manual..so....Engine S/N of22927x

Issue... Rebuilding the Raw water pump. The parts breakdown shows 2 of the same seal on the impeller end of the pump's drive shaft in addition to the "H" (O ring) surface seal. How are these installed? i.e which way do they face? As currently installed, the outer seal has the "rubber" outward (facing the impeller), i.e., the flat of the metal part of the seal faces inward. I don't think this is correct, but I'm asking to be sure. Is there an "easy way" to pull this seal?? It appears to me that I have to pull the pulley, pop ( drill and pick) the seal on the pulley end, remove the snap ring and use a press to drive the shaft inwards from the impeller end... I'm assuming this leaves the impeller end bearing in the housing?? ( my manual shows a drive shaft with two bearings???... ) ... and then remove the seal.

Last edited:
Bob - what you are describing sounds like the 'mid-80's vintage' that shows up in Manual #9.....unfortunately, what you offered for a serial number doesn't fit into that range. any prefix letters or an extra digit in the SN?

Bob - what you are describing sounds like the 'mid-80's vintage' that shows up in Manual #9.....unfortunately, what you offered for a serial number doesn't fit into that range. any prefix letters or an extra digit in the SN?

replace "x" with 8, i.e. of229278

Back