Logo

150 blk max starting issue

ht43

I have an 89 150 blk max xr4, for a while when I choked it it would fire OK but if it died I couldn't get it to start again choke or no choke unless I open the throttle a little. The last time I went out I couldn't get it to fire to save my life no matter what I did. When I choked it I could smell gas so I figured it was getting gas so I thought I was flooding it so I tried letting it sit trimmed up or down to let it clear and cranked it with no choke or throttle, nothing so I tried choking it again or opening the throttle a little still nothing, then after fighting it and letting it sit off and on for an hour it started at random. It idled just fine for a bit to warm it up and as soon as I put it in gear it died again. And it wouldn't start again choke or no choke. It has always ran great at full throttle but the starting has seemed to slowly got worse. It Idles great in netural but as soon as you put it in gear it dies unless you give it some throttle immediately, I opened the idle screw a little and increased the rpm at idle but it still dies when you put it in gear.
Any Ideas?
Thanks Rob.

I would start with a compression test.----Post your numbers.---Check for strong spark on all leads.------Next is to take the starter apart for inspection cleaning and an ohm check.----Note---no money spent so far.

Back