Logo

Fuel pump(?) issue

JPonHudson

So, I started my Mercruiser 3.0 today mainly to run antifreeze through the system before the frost comes. The engine ran for a few minutes and it stopped. I attempted to start it again but I could only do that after 2-3 deep pumps (for a lack of a better word) as if I was a cold start. At this point the engine would start only if the throttle was almost all the way up at which point the engine would rev WAY UP and the smoke started coming out of the exhaust. When I pulled the throttle back the engine would die. I tried several time and the result was the same. pumping a lot of gas to start, revving like mad, dying as soon as I attempted to pull back of the throttle.

The fuel pump was never changed in this 2000 Bayline Capri so I think that perhaps this is the problem....so
1. Does this sound like a dying fuel pump problem?
2. If I take the old pump out and take it apart, what should I look for to confirm that I am changing the right part?
3. I drained the water from the engine, took off hoses on the both sides of the water pump and put a 2 gallons of antifreeze there...will this be sufficient? I normally let the engine suck it in until comes out at the bottom.

Any suggestions?

PS
Fuel pick up and the hose between the tank and pump was changed in the spring.

re: "....I normally let the engine suck it in until comes out at the bottom." This is a safe and effective winterizing procedure ONLY for engines equipped with heat exchangers... i.e..."fresh water cooled" engines

So, I started my Mercruiser 3.0 today mainly to run antifreeze through the system before the frost comes.
.........................I normally let the engine suck it in until comes out at the bottom.

......This is a safe and effective winterizing procedure ONLY for engines equipped with heat exchangers... i.e..."fresh water cooled" engines

Bob is correct. I would not suggest using that method.

Please take a few minutes and read this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3BD7X6QC3KCFR?ref=pf_vv_at_pdctrvw_srp

2. If I take the old pump out and take it apart, what should I look for to confirm that I am changing the right part?
If this mechanical fuel pump body is capable of disassembly, it is doubtful (corrosion issues) that you could remove the screws by now.
But lets say that you can....... you will see the main diaphragm, the diaphragm pressure spring and two check valves.
One check valve for inlet checking, and one for the outlet checking.

Example only
shopping

again.... example only of a rebuild kit

shopping

Fuel pick up and the hose between the tank and pump was changed in the spring.
While I'm not suggesting that these are your issues:
.......... was the pick up tube screen cleaned and/or replaced?
......... what about the Anti-Siphon valve...... was it replaced?

Last edited:
When marine fuel pumps fail they pump the fuel into the carb (or intake) so that fuel doesn't go into the bilge where it can make a pretty effective bomb that will blow you to bits. Look for a stream of raw fuel being dumped down the carb throat while someone cranks the engine, sure sign.

Only when/if the mechanical fuel pump diaphragm was to rupture will gasoline (from the rupture) be directed to the carburetor or flame arrestor.

Other failures can be:
.... a broken diaphragm spring
.... bad check valve(s)
.... broken actuator arm
.... broken actuator arm pivot pin

Back