Logo

Mercury mark 55 flywheel r&r

I have an old mark 55 that has required removal and reinstallation of the flywheel. That is normally no big deal, but with this engine, one must also deal with the timing belt which is installed under the stator. In order to get the flywheel off, it is necessary to disengage the timing belt from the belt pulley on the flywheel before the flywheel can be removed. The belt pulley lives in pretty confined quarters with the belt itself and getting the belt on and off the pulley without stressing it can be problematic. After probing the belt with screwdrivers, pieces of welding rod and anything else that is handy, it can be done, but there is little joy in this time consuming job.

I was hoping someone has come up with a straightforward method of positioning the timing belt clear of the pulley so that the flywheel can be removed without all the grief.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nope-----You verify that you understand the belt and distributor timing.------Then remove plate on distributor pulley.-----Then flip belt off the distributor / magneto.------Then remove flywheel and the belt together.-----Nothing complicated / difficult about it.

I would agree that there is nothing complicated about it if the stator were not in the way. Lifting the belt with the flywheel puts an undue stress on the belt that I try to avoid. It has always been my impression that these type belts don't like to be crimped or stretched excessively so I try to be gentle with them. Removing them along with the flywheel and with the stator in place requires a pretty sharp bend on the belt. Am I just trying to be too gentle?

Jeff----Do you really think that installing a new belt is a big challenge , yes or no ?-----Done it myself many times and there iis nothing to it !

Me too, and many times over, but it's like the tale o the one armed paper hanger!

Note that the later Mercs had a separate hub and flywheel. You put the hub in place, then the belt, the stator, and finally the outer flywheel. Much easier.

Jeff

Back