Logo

First time owner - quick water/fuel separator filter question

kwindfelder

I purchased a used 2008 Sweetwater 18" Pontoon with an Honda BF50A outboard motor.

Would there typically be a water/fuel separator filter installed somewhere on the base of the Pontoon boat?

Even if there is not one installed, there should be. If there is one, it should be somewhere near the in-line primer bulb.

Its hard to miss if you have one, just follow the fuel line, if you only have a primer bulb between the tank and then engine, then you don't. The engine itself has a fuel filter inside the cowling, but having an inline will really make sure you have zero issues with fuel in the long run. You can look them up online on www.hondamarine.com under fuel accessories. Pretty easy to install, you will just need to go to Napa or the like to pick up NPT fuel fittings for the actual filter housing.

Or you can do a search for Racor Filters. Racor's are one of the more popular fuel/water separators. You will want a 10 micron filter that will allow at least 30 gallons per hour of fuel to run through it. Most use a screw on filter with with a sight bowl that allows for easy draining.

Here's a link to the Racor 3240, which will meet your needs.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/raco...parator-30-gph-10-micron--1930445?recordNum=3

I use this exact same one on my BF40 and love it.

Back