Logo

Installing Evinrude 50 h.p. onto Bayliner Capri Cuddy.

boatdokker

Regular Contributor
This is a quick question about outboard motor installation. I was told by a boat shop in Phoenix, Arizona, that a 50 h.p. outboard motor can power a boat up to about 24 feet. The original motor in this boat was, I believe, 100 to 110 h.p. This is a 18' Bayliner Capri Cuddy. Is this boat going to be o.k. with
a 50 h.p. Evinrude? The original motor was gone when I bought the boat. The second photo is the 50 h.p. Evinrude. Thanks.

P1010008 (2).jpgP1010234.jpg

Yes a 50 HP can go on a 24" boat.----But it might not be able to go very fast.-----What speed are you hoping to get from a 50 HP on your 18" boat ?

I'm planning on only taking the boat to the lake. I plan on using the boat for fishing mostly...at low speed. However, I did read someplace that for raft-towing, etc., the
recommended speed is 10 to 20 mph and for adult water skiing, the recommended speed is about 36 mph. Not wanting to set a speed record with that boat! Those numbers seem about right?

You will be fine for fishing at low speeds as 10-20 mph is doable. That set-up will will be less than ideal for tubing/ water skiing. You will be lucky to be around 25 mph with that set-up, and that will be with a light load. It will be an underpowered package.

Yeah...o.k. Someone said something about using two 50 h.p. outboards. I kinda doubt that I'm going to find another Evinrude 50 h.p. outboard. Most likely, it'd be impossible to install two 50 h.p. motors on that transom. I might try to go to a "kicker" and "kicker plate" or to a different motor. Thanks. P1010471.jpg

'

You will not be happy with it. I tried a 50 hp on a 16 foot walk-thru boat and it did not have enough power at all. I have 90 hp on it now. Get something bigger.

I’ve owned a bunch of boats, & still have 8 different watercraft on the dock. I’ve seen tons of underpowered setups.
In my opinion, you are way underpowered for what you want to do. I used to have an 18’ Lund Tyee, a deep V fishing boat, with 115 Merc. That was decent power for tubing with the kids, our amateur water skiing & fishing. We also had a very lightweight 16’ fibreglass shallow V with a Mariner 90, that was also very adequate.
Glass Cuddy cabins are heavy boats, you can certainly plow around the lake, but where the real power is required is getting out of the hole & up onto plane. Remember, you need some required gear in the boat, fuel, at least one spotter,(and probably a few kids/parents watching). Trying to also get a skier out of the water, or a tube on plane, (we often double tubed), isn’t going to happen. Going to a low pitch prop with only 50 hp might get an empty boat on plane, (if you move people forward into the cuddy),but now you have to be very careful not to overev the engine.
Dealers are part of the problem. They put together underpowered packages to show a much lower price. The new owner is disappointed, sells the boat to another unsuspecting owner.
what is the Max HP listed on the certification tag? Try to stay at 3/4 of that, if not more. There was a reason it used to have 100 ponies

Last edited:
Don't take that boat out if there's even the slightest chance for thunderstorms or high wind. It's just not enough engine to get you out of trouble

Yeah??? So my buddy was telling me...he had two Evinrude 50 h.p. outboards hooked up on his boat....I guess I can try to find another 50 h.p. or go to the Evinrude 85 h.p., huh??!! O.K....Thanks.

Back