Logo

Engine wont start!!!!!

Tyler3790

i was recently taking my boat out and we snapped a belt for the alternator. I fixed the belts and got it started again. went to take it out the next weekend, the boat wont start. i changed the battery. still wont start. i changed the starter and still wont start. all you hear is a TINK when you turn the key and a TINK when you turn it back. starter has power. i dont know what else to check.

snapping that belt can lead to an overheat, did you overheat?
Hearing a soft click is the slave solenoid, hearing a hard clunk is hydro-lock
Remove the spark plugs and try to spin the motor.
If salt or brackish you have 24 hours to get it dried and running

Go to the starter and jump the yellow/red to the main battery post , motor must turn.
Yes= battery and connections are good, No= battery or connections are bad
Locate the slave solenoid,if it only clicks, jump the 2 large lugs,starter must spin.
Yes= replace slave, No = go to starter check fuse (if equipped) Check for 12v at the Red/Purple wire
Remove the spark plugs and try to spin the motor.
If salt or brackish you have 24 hours to get it dried and running

i jumped the starter from the battery and it worked. i could not find the slave solenoid. any idea where it is on the engine. i tried tracing the yellow/red wire but i keep losing it.

The slave solenoid should be mounted to the shifter bracket on the block side. Real PITA to get at. Look down between the block and the shifter bracket and you should be able to see it.

Last edited:
Back