Logo

Volvo penta 5.0FL wont rev past 3000rpm under load

jmph

Hi Guys,

Ive got a problem that is doing my head in, I have a 1995 Volvo Penta 5.0FL that I have just replaced the electronic ignition module in the prestolite distributor with a Pertronix 1589. We have also replaced the coil and leads.

When the boat is out over the water and hooked up to the hose it will rev fine all they way past 5000rpm. As soon as we put the boat it the water and press WOT the engine will only reach 3000rpm. Electronic choke looks fine and is in the vertical position once warm.

Anyone had this problem before?

Thanks,

James

James, operating this engine with no load on it will tell you ZERO. Most any engine will rev up like that while not under load.

Since you were able to use the
Pertronix 1589 kit, you have a mechanically advancing ignition distributor.
If the flyweight advancing system is not advancing the spark as per the OEM advance curve, the engine will not perform to it's potential.

Suggestion:

Mark off the harmonic balancer (in increments of 5*) from the TDC line up to 35 degrees in the advance direction.
(see image below re; how to determine 35 degrees for your balancer diameter)

With the garden hose/muffs connected, and with your standard type timing light connected, fire the engine up and strobe the advance as you gently increase RPM.
Jot the advance numbers down in graph form.
Example:
700 rpm........ 10*
1,200 rpm......14*
1,700 rpm......16*
and so on up to approximately 3,200 rpm.

Post the results.

timing decal per diameter.jpg

I'd double and triple check your firing order, when you replaced your spark plug wires it's possible you mixed a couple up.

Back