Logo

How do you get boat shops to get to your boat quicker?

Takes money I think.-----And they are busy / try to help everybody.-----Boat motors are more challenging to fix these days.-------Many big $$ boats are now returned for dealer scheduled service .----Those with budget boats are asked to wait.

[h=1]"How do you get boat shops to get to your boat quicker?"[/h]
I find that boat repair shops seem to take about 3 times as long as they initially said to complete your project.

First and foremost..... be willing to pay for proper diagnostics up front. Only upon a written work scope "quote" (not an estimate) that refers to the diagnostics, do you authorize the work.

Secondly....... ask the shop give you a realistic time frame for completion, and see to it that its also referenced in the work scope quote.

To add a bit of humor.......

#1..... tell them that your great grandfather is coming in from England in two weeks, and that he will be here for one week only. Great Grandfather desperately wants to take one last boat ride (in your boat) out to his favorite US fishing site before his pacemaker battery dies in three weeks.

#2..... make an anonymous phone call to the shop owner letting him know that the TV series "who's shop is honest and prompt" hidden cameras will be capturing the event.

Truthfully though, you are the mercy of the shop.

Look at it this way.------It is easier / more lucrative to be a doctor or lawyer, than to repair the many models of motors.----New , more complicated models every year.----Doctors only have to learn 2 models !----Lawyers just need some books.-----Lucky you if you have an honest boat shop in your town.-----You have to wait for the service or simply buy new to eliminate service worries.

I've been told if you find someone who can work on your boat right away then run! Lol Honestly I was just thinking since it's the off season here, they werent going to be as busy, but I guess since the weather has been so nice still they're still somewhat busy.

I'm going to drop off a case of beer the next time I come by to check up on things.

I've been told if you find someone who can work on your boat right away then run! Lol Honestly I was just thinking since it's the off season here, they werent going to be as busy, but I guess since the weather has been so nice still they're still somewhat busy.

I'm going to drop off a case of beer the next time I come by to check up on things.

10x's on the "I've been told if you find someone who can work on your boat right away then run!"

If your mechanic paints bottoms and details, find another mechanic.

If you want your boat repaired in a reasonable time frame, be nice, schedule it and don't call every 15 minutes for a progress report.

I stop by every two or three days if I know they're working on it. I don't hound them to get it done, I just like to see the work at each phase.

10x's on the "I've been told if you find someone who can work on your boat right away then run!"

If your mechanic paints bottoms and details, find another mechanic.

If you want your boat repaired in a reasonable time frame, be nice, schedule it and don't call every 15 minutes for a progress report.

I guess that's the key. Get the quote then agree to a completion time.

Do you like the idea of me bringing a case of beer at the end of the day? I'm sure shops hate it when the customer shows up to check on there boat, so I figured it would be a nice change.

I visit one shop and it is amazing what a case of suds will get me from the pile of motors / parts that have been set aside.

Back