Logo

Mercury Mark 35a - Will nothing go right? - stuck impeller

Boatsnhoes

Contributing Member
A little dramatic on the title because something did go right - the previous owner screwed the water pump housing on very loosely, so i was able to get it off with nothing more than hand power and a phillips head for leverage. But that's where my luck ended.

As the title says, my impeller is stuck to the driveshaft.

I tried to spin the shaft while keeping the impeller still, but it didn't pop loose. I would really like to avoid chiseling.

Anyone have advice?

Picture for documentation purposes.

Stuck impeller.jpg

The impeller lifts out of the housing; use 2 screw drivers 180* apart to lever it out. Find the spots where the drivers have the most input. It might need pen.oil.

Tried that one already, with the PB Blaster too. I'll give it one last go later tonight but if it's no dice she's getting chiseled.

Any advice on chiseling,while we're at it?

Well I took most of the rubber off the impeller and was able to bust it loose by hitting the metal sleeve of the impeller with a screwdriver.

But once more more I am stumped: how do I get through here? I don’t see any screws holding it in.

C48CD92C-782E-4A3A-BCF4-7AF3826DA7E0.jpg

Last edited:
Well to get those parts out you need to take the nut / bolt out of the bottom of the driveshaft first.----Then pull the driveshaft and water pump parts out together.

Ah okay. I thought I could lift the driveshaft out with the pinion gear still attached. If it requires going through the gearcase then I'll have to wait for that tool to come in - i gave it a tap and this one is definitely not screwed on lightly like the water pump cover was.

Back