Logo

1990 evinrude throttle cable

19902stroke

hi i have a 1990 evinrude 2 stroke 70 HP (E70TLESB) and having issues with throttle cable not having enough adjustment to reach the right spot for idle. its about a inch off where it needs to be. It has new throttle and shift cables and new control box. are both cables meant to be different as the shifting through gears is fine. i have attached a couple pics. Please need help.

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 56
Fact------The shift cable is the one that moves first.------Put control lever in neutral.------Put lever ON THE MOTOR in neutral.------Now turn the black plastic piece on the shift cable to fit.-----Put throttle to idle ON THE MOTOR.-----Now adjust the black plastic thingy to fit.

Fact------The shift cable is the one that moves first.------Put control lever in neutral.------Put lever ON THE MOTOR in neutral.------Now turn the black plastic piece on the shift cable to fit.-----Put throttle to idle ON THE MOTOR.-----Now adjust the black plastic thingy to fit.

Yes I did that, the engine goes into gear perfect. I have the manual for the engine and have been following it but the throttle section isn't working out

It should be simple and easy , but-------Hurry to a shop to have these cables set up.-----Will save you lots of money and aggravation.

Can't you take the little Allen screw out and shorten cable the needed difference? Maybe you can get it to adjust properly, guess I'd have to put it in my own hands to make the right call.

Last edited:
The cables appear to be factory fixed permanent ends (non-removable guides).

Are both cables "exactly" identical in design and length to each other, end to end?... If so and if the control box is the proper one for that engine...... that powerhead's got to have some really good screwed up linkage somewhere.

The cables appear to be factory fixed permanent ends (non-removable guides).

Are both cables "exactly" identical in design and length to each other, end to end?... If so and if the control box is the proper one for that engine...... that powerhead's got to have some really good screwed up linkage somewhere.

Yep both cables exactly the same with permanent fixed ends only adjustment is the black knurl screw near the retaining block and that's screwed in to the max. I got the box from a evinrude shop gave them engine number etc so I am worried as that wasnt cheap. In the manual book I have it has pictures on where the throttle arm sits and it's near vertical when it's against the idle speed screw which is currently where mine is set at. With the cable off it runs beautiful just doing motor by hand with throttle control.

You need to establish which one is the shift cable first and foremost !!---The one that moves first is to be used for the shift !----I believe in your pictures you have them backwards.----Both cables are exactly the same !---But you need to adjust it to fit on your motor.------Adjust the black knurl screw.-----You need to turn that so that the black knob moves till it fits nicely on the motor.----This should not take more than 2 minutes to set up.

Last edited:
You need to establish which one is the shift cable first and foremost !!---The one that moves first is to be used for the shift !----I believe in your pictures you have them backwards.----Both cables are exactly the same !---But you need to adjust it to fit on your motor.------Adjust the black knurl screw.-----You need to turn that so that the black knob moves till it fits nicely on the motor.----This should not take more than 2 minutes to set up.

The one that's hooked up in picture is the shift... The one that's hanging off at top is throttle

The one that's hooked up in picture is the shift... The one that's hanging off at top is throttle

Have the hood off... Observe the cables... When you move the lever to put the engine into gear, is it the shift cable at the engine that starts to move first... OR is it the throttle cable that's just hanging off loosely? You have a habit of answering in generalities at times... we need it spelled out for us!

Last edited:
Have the hood off... Observe the cables... When you move the lever to put the engine into gear, is it the shift cable at the engine that starts to move first... OR is it the throttle cable that's just hanging off loosely? You have a habit of answering in generalities at times... we need it spelled out for us!

I can tell this is going no where but thanks anyway. I have said multiple times the cable that's connected is the shift cable and I already know that is the shift cable as yes it moves first, throttle cable that is currently off moves when the control is pushed further.

I can tell this is going no where but thanks anyway. I have said multiple times the cable that's connected is the shift cable and I already know that is the shift cable as yes it moves first, throttle cable that is currently off moves when the control is pushed further.

Yes, we're sure you know but we're not standing there to actually see that, however now we know... That's what we wanted to see in print rather then to simply assume. Sorry if we upset you to a point whereas you believe we are incapable of helping you due to an insistence needed to avoid an assuming scenario.

Now, with that bit of info, unless the engine linkage is out of adjustment as mentioned previously, there would be a problem at the control box. Wish you luck... Wish I was there to see that rig.

Back