Logo

Mercury Force 90HP

The 90 horse Force was one of the most "cobbled together" outboards ever produced. I think in remember counting 21 "unique" model numbers (1990 models) in a single production year. The early Force were "chrysler" outboards. Some in the middle were part chrysler part merc and the later models were "mostly" merc.

Yours has Merc coils so it is "no earlier" than 1991 but could be as late as 1994. The last production year was 1999 but those were built in Belgium and your tag notes a US built model and the decals pre-date the 1995-on models (the "by Mercury... was white block letters).

So best "guess" is 1991 to 1994 - sorry, can't narrow it down further than that.

thanks much appreciated. i was told today by mercury that the model would be stamped on the freeze plug. any idea where that might be? are there any other pictures i might take that would help narrow it down?

The plug might be located "behind" that (plate) that all the ignition components are fastened to. I haven't seen a Force motor for a good number of years now but Merc (typically) installs the plug with the serial on the starboard side of the powerhead (right hand side if you are standing behind the motor).

Thanks again! I will pull it off tomorrow and see. in the meantime, can you recommend a service manual for this engine or would I be better served knowing the exact year to purchase a service manual.

Back