Logo

Adding a bracket

mickey13

Hey guys & gals!

My first post so I'll introduce myself.

I live in Forked River NJ and have 3 boats (16' Baja I/O Bowrder, 17 Mako CC 90 O/B, and 25 Mako CC twin O/B) that I am currently working on. I'd like to get one in the water this winter and the other 2 are projects. I consider myself a novice to boating and boating repairs so any and all advise is welcome.

This question is about my 25 Mako. I have twin 200 Yamahas and a fairly new open transom. My question is would it be OK to mount a bracket to the existing transom and close the existing transom sort of using a fake transom.

I'd rather not rebuild the whole thing considering that it is practically new. I think the boat would run faster and dryer with a bracket and closed transom. thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm a big believer in using extension brackets on 20' to 30' boats. You'll find that with ,say, a 30" bracket, the boat will handle better and normally perform more efficiently. The cavitation plate on your engines should be raise about 1" above the bottom-most point on the transom, for every foot of extension off the transom.

I don't see the need to close in the transom. By not closing it in, you will have better, easier access to the engines for things like flushing and checking oil levels.

I'm a big believer in using extension brackets on 20' to 30' boats. You'll find that with ,say, a 30" bracket, the boat will handle better and normally perform more efficiently. The cavitation plate on your engines should be raise about 1" above the bottom-most point on the transom, for every foot of extension off the transom.

I don't see the need to close in the transom. By not closing it in, you will have better, easier access to the engines for things like flushing and checking oil levels.

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely consider leaving transom as is (would also be less work). I won't be starting this project until at least the end of next summer so plenty of time to mull it over.

The aluminum Armstrong brackets seem to have a good reputation. Do an Internet search on them. That's what I have on my 25 ft. C-Hawk. Because is is a closed in, sealed bracket, it provides additional buoyancy to the rear of the boat. HOWEVER, you are going to need to be real careful about mounting it correctly. I think there are videos on the Internet on how to do it correctly.

Back