Logo

Trim Trouble

DoctrT

Hi Guys,
New to the forum. Hoping someone can help me with my trim trouble. Boat (17.2 Smokercraft, 2013) was in the water for a week or so and took on a lot of water. Thought it was the big rains we had around Halloween. Turns out I popped a rivet, but that’s another issue. Nonetheless, I’ve got other problems. My motor is a 2016 Merc 90hp fourstroke. The water was apparently high enough to short the starting battery. (I didn’t see it, my brother-in-law bilged it before it arrived). So the bilge shut off. When i had dried everything off and checked all the connections, fuses and breakers, I reattached another battery to continue bilging, I heard a hum coming from the motor. It was the motor trimming up. When I went to press the down trim on the motor itself, the sound stopped but didn’t trim down. From my research, I read the most likely culprit would be the trim relay in the motor. I’ve since changed it and the motor started to again trim up. I’ve pulled the main motor fuse to stop this but I don’t know where to go from here. My first thought is possibly the trim switch in the throttle. While the throttle itself was not under water, I’m thinking some of the connections behind the starboard wall were, and that may be where the problem is. There’s another trim switch on the bow bit that’s high and would not have been wet. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Tim

Last edited:
Probably the trim switch you used when the event first occured is bad. Wiring itself is engineered to withstand plenty of water. Could be the relay shorted out and backfed into your switch.

Back