Logo

1988 Yammy 4hp 2 cycle issues...

sail69

After being delayed and ripped off by a local mechanic (with, what I thought was a good rep), I am taking matters into my own hands.

Great little engine that I would like to get running well again but it has a few problems;

- It sounds (noisy as heck) like the exhaust is running dry. Where do I start to look to remedy? I was told it was needing a "gasket"? Cannot find what it might be in parts diagrams.

- When I tilt motor fuel runs out of cowling if I do not shut off fuel cut-off. Mechanic said it was a part (in carb?) that apparently never arrived. Assistance in identifying it would be great.

- at WOT it sounds "throttled" and is not revving as it once did. Pulled carb apart and it seems fine. Will replace fuel filter, but was hoping to get some feedback as to what else may be amisss.

Thanks in advance.

Where does the water run out when the motor is running?

Probably float valve or float assembly - take carb off remove floats and youll find a pencil looking object You should be able to google to see what a good one looks like.

Could be running rich because of the above. Fix carb issue and re assess.

Needing a gasket??? What /where???

Tilting motor and fuel out the carb and cover.
Sounds like the needle/float need to be set.
Some fuel will run out no matter what you do.

Exhaust running dry??? You on a hose or in a bucket?
Running in a bucket? you need to be 4" over the cavitation plate for the pump to
pick up water. The pumps not self priming.

Back