Logo

New 3.0 in older boat

Yeah but I need them to tell me okay in writing.

According to what Chris read regarding MarineEnginesforless warranty:

a)You must, at your own expense, have the valves readjusted (if necessary), and the oil and oil filter changed after 10 hours of engine use. Failure to have these services performed will void the warranty.

How does an owner re-adjust the valves (actually, the cam follower plunger depths) if he cannot remove the valve cover?

If the owner is not allowed to remove the valve cover to make the adjustment, then his warranty would now be void after XX hours of run time.

If he is allowed to remove the valve cover for the adjustment, then why not do it simply for the purpose of examining the valve train?

Last edited:
Just want to be 100% sure it's ok. Knowing a little about the law regarding warranty, They could come back and say, why did you open it up before the ten hour run? You should have requested an RMA and sent it back knowing their was a problem with it.

According to what Chris read regarding MarineEnginesforless warranty:

a)You must, at your own expense, have the valves readjusted (if necessary), and the oil and oil filter changed after 10 hours of engine use. Failure to have these services performed will void the warranty.

How does an owner re-adjust the valves (actually, the cam follower plunger depths) if he cannot remove the valve cover?

If the owner is not allowed to remove the valve cover to make the adjustment, then his warranty would now be void after XX hours of run time.

If he is allowed to remove the valve cover for the adjustment, then why not do it simply for the purpose of examining the valve train?

They want me to pull it and send it back. Shesh
T

My money is on a stud pulling out or a broken/cracked rocker.
This makes the most sense.

To john sucks to send it back but may be best for if you if they just replace with another engine. You bought a new one and paid more than a reman so I'd want a new engine not this one back after they rework it.

Bottom line no way they can tell if you pull the rocker cover and touch it up with black paint.

Also, FYI, In this day and age, they are referred to as Lifters not cam followers.

Actually, it is the opposite. The term "lifter" comes from the very old days of the flat head engines, whereby the intake and exhaust valves were directly above the camshaft.... (valve face up/stem down). The cam shaft lobe raised and lowered a cylindrical mechanical tappet that raised and lowered the valve. These were referred to as either "lifters" or "tappets" back then.

Although we still hear the term "lifter" being used, and we still see the word "lifter" printed on the box, this is a carry-over from the old days.
If a person received their training from one who called these "lifters", you'll know that it's hard to break old habits.

cam follower 4.jpg

If you younger guys want to call these lifters, please yourself!
When I read the word "lifter", I'll know what you mean..... please do same for me when I use the term "cam follower"!
Fair enough?

Last edited:
Every formal training session I went thru used "lifter"....some of the well seasoned instructors would throw in "tappet" on occasion....

I do have a vacuum gauge. I believe there is a plug on the side of manifold near the carb. Is that the best place to plug it in? Seems like the only place.

if the plug on the side of the manifold does not work, there should be a 1/4" pipe plug on the base plate of the carb, facing the valve cover... this can be removed with an allen wrench and a barb nipple installed to connect the vac gauge.... then cap it afterwards, so it will be available when the carb needs adjusted again sometime after the break in period....

Actually, it is the opposite. The term "lifter" comes from the very old days of the flat head engines, whereby the intake and exhaust valves were directly above the camshaft.... (valve face up/stem down). The cam shaft lobe raised and lowered a cylindrical mechanical tappet that raised and lowered the valve. These were referred to as either "lifters" or "tappets" back then.

Although we still hear the term "lifter" being used, and we still see the word "lifter" printed on the box, this is a carry-over from the old days.
If a person received their training from one who called these "lifters", you'll know that it's hard to break old habits.

View attachment 22258

If you younger guys want to call these lifters, please yourself!
When I read the word "lifter", I'll know what you mean..... please do same for me when I use the term "cam follower"!
Fair enough?

PCR at it again......................another unrelated, useless post taking up space and has NOTHING to do with the problem for this post.

Who the F cares where the term Lifter comes from.................and what does it have with the problem being discussed.......

If you are so bored that you have to post a completely off topic post as this, just go away........

99.9999999% of mechanics call a lifter a lifter............you are the .000000000000001% WHO DOESN'T! Go figure!

PCR at it again......................another unrelated, useless post taking up space and has NOTHING to do with the problem for this post.

Who the F cares where the term Lifter comes from................. and what does it have with the problem being discussed.......

If you are so bored that you have to post a completely off topic post as this, just go away........

99.9999999% of mechanics call a lifter a lifter............you are the .000000000000001% WHO DOESN'T! Go figure!

How ironic that you would mention unrelated and useless post taking up space!

Who the F cares where the term Lifter comes from.................and what does it have with the problem being discussed.......

Im off topic and probably wrong in my assumption, but this seems like it was written by an angry man who feels his opinion is the ONLY one that matters and has little tolerance for anyone elses.... yet STILL offers NO resolution as to what is wrong with the OPs engine, but is throwing out ideas just like everyone else... and sadly, is delivered with a seemingly angry spew... go figure!!!...

its my opinion that this type of disagreeable attitude is completely unnecessary here....

Last edited:
Im off topic and probably wrong in my assumption, but this seems like it was written by an angry man who feels his opinion is the ONLY one that matters and has little tolerance for anyone elses.... yet STILL offers NO resolution as to what is wrong with the OPs engine, but is throwing out ideas just like everyone else... and sadly, is delivered with a seemingly angry spew... go figure!!!...

its my opinion that this type of disagreeable attitude is completely unnecessary here....

Centerline, thank you for voicing your opinion. And no, you are not wrong in your assumption! Anger, immaturity, low self esteem, the desire to bully, being threatened, etc, are likely the reasons behind this type of attitude.
And yes, it is completely unnecessary, not to mention that it is very disruptive!

Centerline, thank you for voicing your opinion. And no, you are not wrong in your assumption! Anger, immaturity, low self esteem, the desire to bully, being threatened, etc, are likely the reasons behind this type of attitude.
And yes, it is completely unnecessary, not to mention that it is very disruptive!

rick this whole thing started when you nit picked Dockside’s post with lifter in it and sent this thread on a tangent. I’ve watched you do this to myself and others on many threads... it’s down right annoying and does little to help the OP.

While jacks tone could mellow, don’t go crying and claiming the moral high ground when you get called out.

rick this whole thing started when you nit picked Dockside’s post with lifter in it and sent this thread on a tangent. I’ve watched you do this to myself and others on many threads... it’s down right annoying and does little to help the OP.
This is the Pot calling the Kettle black!
Perhaps you've forgotten your comments in this thread.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?460276-383-Inboard(V-Drive)build/page2

While jacks tone could mellow, don’t go crying and claiming the moral high ground when when you get called out.
That is an understatement.
As I said earlier, a
nger, immaturity, low self esteem, the desire to bully, being threatened, etc, are likely the reasons behind this type of attitude.

What some members may not be understanding, is that this is an open forum, whereby we are all allowed to share our thoughts and ideas, and we are all given an opportunity to agree and/or disagree, and we should be doing so in an adult like and mature manner.

I think that is what Centerline noticed, and was what he was referring to.
He is not alone, either!

Jack is very knowledgeable and is very helpful. However, there is no need for the rude, nasty and disruptive behavior.
It is completely un-called for!

He also complains about post counts, yet when he responds to one of my posts, he himself gains a post count!
What is the big deal about post counts?
They only represent one's ability to take or to have the time to respond to a thread.
Post counts mean ZERO re; one's experience.

Let's all do better (myself included) at being more polite with each other.
If we disagree, let's do so politely, and perhaps fully explain why we disagree, and use data to support it.
I'm not suggesting that we need to tip-toe around with each other, I'm suggesting that we simply be polite with each other.

Let's also not lose sight that it's up to the OP as to what he or she decides to do.

Last edited:
Rick I agree with your comment " myself included"

my comments in the thread you referenced all started when you nit picked an alternate solution I offered to the OP, would be nice to have the OP respond vs you quoting and commenting line by line.

did the OP get his valve cover off yet ?

Last edited:

What some members may not be understanding, is that this is an open forum, whereby we are all allowed to share our thoughts and ideas, and we are all given an opportunity to agree and/or disagree, and we should be doing so in an adult like and mature manner.

I think that is what Centerline noticed, and was what he was referring to.
He is not alone, either!

Jack is very knowledgeable and is very helpful. However, there is no need for the rude, nasty and disruptive behavior.
It is completely un-called for!

He also complains about post counts, yet when he responds to one of my posts, he himself gains a post count!
What is the big deal about post counts?
They only represent one's ability to take or to have the time to respond to a thread.
Post counts mean ZERO re; one's experience.

Let's all do better (myself included) at being more polite with each other.
If we disagree, let's do so politely, and perhaps fully explain why we disagree, and use data to support it.
I'm not suggesting that we need to tip-toe around with each other, I'm suggesting that we simply be polite with each other.

Let's also not lose sight that it's up to the OP as to what he or she decides to do.

I agree with 100% of this..... EVERYONE gets to have an opinion, and its GOOD that someone who knows will speak up to correct mis-infomation, mis-understanding or just to inform of another way of getting the task done, but to attempt to belittle some one else in voicing that opinion is rude to EVERYONE who is involved in the "conversation", and is in no way conducive to the resolution, and very inappropriate...... and as the information shared on a forum will be available for people to see for a very long time, it will continue to show the personality and rudeness of the one making the fuss...

imagine if everyone here was as rude and snippy as what we have seen here in this thread. this forum would not survive for its intended purpose.
I agree that its ok to disagree, and its ok to voice your disagreement, and its even ok to leave the conversation if you want, but to purposely be rude, nasty, and hurtful is NOT ok.... as far as im concerned, its the very worst violation one can make on ANY forum.
being off topic or hijacking the thread does not even rate as a violation when its being compared to rude, nasty comments, as HAS been done in this thread...

I dont always agree with everything that I see and read either, here or elsewhere, but no matter how much, or how many times I disagree, someone elses opinions or differences doesnt change my world one bit....
but if I were to voice my disagreement and attempt to belittle someone else to make myself feel better, or make my world a better more comfortable place for me to be, its obvious that it would be a very small, angry and lonely world I would be living in... but that STILL would be no excuse for the behavior towards others.

I agree with 100% of this..... EVERYONE gets to have an opinion, and its GOOD that someone who knows will speak up to correct mis-infomation, mis-understanding or just to inform of another way of getting the task done, but to attempt to belittle some one else in voicing that opinion is rude to EVERYONE who is involved in the "conversation", and is in no way conducive to the resolution, and very inappropriate...... and as the information shared on a forum will be available for people to see for a very long time, it will continue to show the personality and rudeness of the one making the fuss...
imagine if everyone here was as rude and snippy as what we have seen here in this thread. this forum would not survive for its intended purpose.
It may also prevent people from continuing here, some of whom may have otherwise considered making parts or engine purchases through MarineEngine.com.

I agree that its ok to disagree, and its ok to voice your disagreement, and its even ok to leave the conversation if you want, but to purposely be rude, nasty, and hurtful is NOT ok.... as far as im concerned, its the very worst violation one can make on ANY forum.
being off topic or hijacking the thread does not even rate as a violation when its being compared to rude, nasty comments, as HAS been done in this thread...

I dont always agree with everything that I see and read either, here or elsewhere, but no matter how much, or how many times I disagree,someone elses opinions or differences doesnt change my world one bit....but if I were to voice my disagreement and attempt to belittle someone else to make myself feel better, or make my world a better more comfortable place for me to be, its obvious that it would be a very small, angry and lonely world I would be living in... but that STILL would be no excuse for the behavior towards others.
Well said re; the above two paragraphs.

Update on this. They took the motor back and sent a new one and it runs fine. They never did say what was wrong but I think the timing chain was off a few teeth.

Update on this. They took the motor back and sent a new one and it runs fine. They never did say what was wrong but I think the timing chain was off a few teeth.
I bet it was exactly what PCR said it was...a cam plunger whachamash1t thing that was out of adjustment. If only you'd listened to his advice and pulled the valve cover off....

I bet it was exactly what PCR said it was...a cam plunger whachamash1t thing that was out of adjustment. If only you'd listened to his advice and pulled the valve cover off....

Maybe but then it would have voided the warranty. Better safe than sorry.

You don't want to use ported vacuum (that some carbs use). Right off the intake is best, and DON'T make the mistake of using the PVC connection or the idle adjustment will be way too rich. (It's a controlled vacuum leak, right?)

Jeff

Back