Logo

1969 Merc 1000ss Distributor

Jaybey

Contributing Member
Hey gang,

As some of you know, I've bitten the bullet and commenced a complete teardown of my outboard. Currently, I'm cleaning up the distributor and have noticed that the tip of the rotor is a bit worn away..

Does this mean I'm looking for another? Or will be soon?20191105_201005_resize_56.jpg

Those parts will work just fine for many more hrs.----Don't spend any coins until you have the motor all apart.

Thanks for that.. I've got the whole motor apart now. I'll post a vid of the cylinders once it's uploaded... it seems good to me, but I had a local machinist check it out just in case. He told me it's fine.. he did say the cylinders were all out of round exactly one thousandth however. And all out in the same orientation, so I can't help but wonder if it wasn't built like that..?

Run a rigid hone down the cylinder a couple of swipes and the worn areas will show. Where might you be located???

Never thought of the rigid hone, that would indeed highlight the depressed and worn areas... my rings are still like new and very sharp so I hadn't planned on replacing them and in turn wasn't going to hone

Looks like a well cared for motor.------Quick deglaze.----Then wash out the block with hot soapy water and put it together.-----Some new bearings and seals.

Thanks, I've been spending hours detailing every little screw, part and corner of this motor and its peripherals. Some would say I'm nuts but it really is a labor of love. Being 50 years old, I figure it was long overdue for a rebuild and clean up. I did find some stuck rings in all but number 6, however I was able to free them up, remove them and clean the pistons. I have a gasket kit for the head, new upper and lower bearings and seals for the crank. These are just such beautiful engines, I've got quite a love for them. The original reason for the teardown was a crankcase cover leak and no fuel reaching number 1 even after new fuel lines, pump and carb kits. Found 85% of the sealant in the crankcase to block surface gone.

Last edited:
The missing sealant is not the reason # 1 did not get any fuel.----Be sure to use the correct sealant LOCTITE 518 when assembling.----Most if not all the sealer should squeeze out on this metal to metal joint !----I think new rings are available if you look for them.

Yes, I have the 518 in hand for the reassembly. Hard to find new rings up here believe it or not, I can get oversized but not standard too easily. And when looking for someone capable (and willing) to do the blind bore I hit closed doors everywhere.

I will have look see if I have some NOS standard rings.-----Your motor does not need boring.----Do you have the part # for new standard rings ?

Write that'd be great! 18-3902 is the Sierra number for 3 (need 18).. and 39-78816A12 is the merc number for 12

Is that the current piston ring part # for this 69 model ?-----Has # been superceded ?----Serial # of your motor ?

Found a used set so far.-----But they are shown as available NEW .-----Contact a good Mercury dealer with that part #----I will look to see If I have a new set.

Ok wow, I'll check with them again, this time armed with the part number...

Thanks so much brother, I hold high value in this forum because of folks like you

I am about 5 hrs away.-----Not unusual for a dealer to say " no parts for that old motor "-----But if you have the part # it is a totally different response.

Back