Logo

1996 40 HP Force cranks but not start unless spray little 50-1 gas in carburetor

I have a Force 40 HP and recently will not fully start unless I spray a little gas in the carburetor.
I've had this boat for two years, new to boating and it used to start although it took few cranking's before turning over..

Can anyone please give me some tips what I can do so I do not have to spray 50-1 gas in the carburetor..?

I also recently see some white smoke come out of the lower unit (propeller?) when I run it in idle or rev the motor in a container full of water...

I am using the choke and normal starting procedures. The compression is good and sparks work well. Thank you for the feedback. I think it's a gummy carburetor.

No choke on that motor.----It has an enricher system.-----Make sure you push key in while cranking it over with the starter motor.

No choke on that motor.----It has an enricher system.-----Make sure you push key in while cranking it over with the starter motor.

Thank you Racerone, I will try pushing the key in when I turn it on. I have a lever on top of my Mercury control box that I lift up and it revs the motor up, looks like I have a solenoid choke under the carburetor..

That lever is not the " choke " it only opens the throttle a bit.-------The electric thingy under the carburetor is an enricher valve.----Push key in while cranking it over with the starter motor.

Starting procedure:\
The fast idle lever, lift abut 1/3 of the way.
Press key in as you turn it. Each press gives it a shot of fuel.
When it starts raise or lower the fast idle handle and let it warm up.

(Force shifters didn't have this lever, the handle is the fast idle.
Some you pull the handle out and then advance the idle, others there's a button in the handle, you push
it in and the handle turns into a fast idle control.
Once it starts then moving the handle to N it makes the handle go into a regular shift handle.
I wonder if your getting the right results from the old Mercury shifter??)

Are you sure each press---- " gives it a shot of fuel "-------As far as I know the enricher is NOT a pump.-----Step # 1 in a starting procedure is to operate the manual fuel pump to fill carburetors.

Thank you JerryJerry, this is very helpful information and will apply this process
My Mercury control is very new and the lever on top does help idle the motor faster. I have used it to help warm up my outboard.

Your 96 would have the latest model mid 90's Mercury shifter(my bad, suffering from crs).
Mercury stopped using Force products starting in 95
They continued with the Force name until 99

Racerone, the way it was explained to me when Force started using the primer instead of the choke.
It delivers a quick shot of fuel each time the keys depressed.
The primer is a solenoid with a diaphragm that when energized it pushes or pulses a small amount of fuel
into the bowl, pushing the fuel up into the throat of the carb.

Last edited:
Well----I think the enricher is a valve that get fuel from the bowl.-----It does not put a shot of fuel into the bowl -.

Thank you all that provided feedback to my questions. It was very helpful and got my outboard running. It has been running like a champ. Much appreciated.

Back