Logo

Milky gear oil...

James t

I’ve bought a bf225 2002 recently and have started going through the service items. I’m not that experienced with working on boat motors so when I drained the gear oil and it looked like single cream I don’t know how much to worry (see pic)
408AE4A4-9A9B-47E2-AFA9-A0E007378AA3.jpeg
I’m assuming it’s white due to water ingress but I don’t know how much this happens naturally over time through condensation or whether I have a seal problem. It’s been a minimum of two years since the gear oil was changed maybe longer... any thoughts please?

The gearcase is sealed.----No such thing as " normal " condensation getting in there.-----Hurry to a shop and have the gearcase pressure tested.-----That will find the leak.

Ok so a quick update - I believe I was lucky this time... water ingress caused by a worn out seal on top of gearbox (below impeller) had caused rusting to top bearing in gearbox, water pump housing corroded, impeller plate worn, anodes corroded. Mechanic told me gears and gear shafts all looked a little worn but were serviceable. But good news is I now have a repaired and pressure tested leg and gearbox to get me going again. Whilst it cost a lot (£670!) in my view it is still cheaper than trying to replace with new here in the uk - so long as it lasts a few years anyway.

Yep - that was a bit of luck. I would change the gear oil again after, say, 50 hours or so, then check it at every 100 hours thereafter.

James
You were lucky there.
We bought our 225 and gave it to a recommended shop with instructions to go right through it as we knew nothing of the engine's history.
Nearly £1000 later it's came back as being all done and everything was fine.
Within a few hours use the lower unit had eaten itself and snapped the drive shaft - new lower unit required
I have no idea if they had even checked the LU oil but I discovered after that first season that #3 spark plug had never been changed and was seized into the head.

I now try to do all my own servicing!

Sounds like the same outfit ours has been serviced by for the last few years. I’ll try to do all my servicing myself going forwards. As a matter of interest did you implement the service bulletin #56 to your engine (fit modified exhaust tubes) to stop further ingestion of water through exhaust idle ports - this is what seems to be the cause of my seized plugs in #3&6 and the replacement of an O2 sensor before I bought it.

I did SB#56 to my 2006 BF 225 almost 3 yrs ago. Here are some pics...................................
I tried every which way couldn't get pics to come straight up.

20170516_134818.jpg

20170516_134845.jpg

20170516_164400.jpg

20170522_121201.jpg

20170522_132248.jpg

20170522_132302.jpg

Last edited:
Your welcome.
I think it took around 3 hours to complete. It was my first time trying a job like this, so I took my time and followed the Service Bulletin closely.
It definitely fixed the the problem.

Back