Logo

Winterizing

ajv00303

Regular Contributor
This will be the 1st year in MANY years that I will be winterizing an outboard.
Was thinking of de-carb'ing prior to fogging.......should I or shouldn't I?

Any opinions?

What is your motor? Salt water? Run all gas out of fuel system, (outboard side), If inboard tank use stabil or similar product. Make sure no ethanol mixed with fuel. Store upright so water can drain properly. Fog as it is running out of gas, then run starter or pull cord with full choke to finalize. Plug any openings or use Bounce sheets to keep out mice. Check lower unit for water and drain, then refill for storage.

If possible, don't let it stay in the same rotation position all winter long. If it's a pull cord motor. give it a pull every few weeks. If it's electric start, leave the battery in place so that you can do the same. The water pump vanes will last longer if they are not crushed in position for long periods of time. Cylinders, pistons, reeds and rings will be less likely to corrode if they are rotated. Some might consider it "overkill" but I do not.

If possible, don't let it stay in the same rotation position all winter long. If it's a pull cord motor. give it a pull every few weeks. If it's electric start, leave the battery in place so that you can do the same. The water pump vanes will last longer if they are not crushed in position for long periods of time. Cylinders, pistons, reeds and rings will be less likely to corrode if they are rotated. Some might consider it "overkill" but I do not.

Thanks for that bobbyc, I've never heard someone say that before, but it makes sense.

Back