Logo

Joe?

Mr Scott, I see Racer and Joe had another "run in" on that 1975 6 hp thread. I really pray that Joe is physically okay. These guys are not young anymore, for sure.

Tim-----Why would that friction collar on these motors be TAPERED all these years.?-----Does that change the friction characteristics as compared to a flat surface ???

Most certainly, Racer, it adds more surface for longevity as well as more reliable friction. Surely you have repaired units that bind/release and don't work smoothly. This makes for more difficult fine-tuning when trolling. It can actually become a nuisance. Joe, over the years, has had good luck cleaning the grease and running these units dry. The service manual says otherwise. The question is who is right? Years and years of experience, or the service manual? It can be a very tough call. For me my greatest success has been to remove and clean all the old grease and then apply a sparing amount of a high-quality molykote product. I treasure you guys as friends and mentors, it hurts me to see you fight. For me, however, as I age, I notice that my experience lends me to be a little more self righteous and perhaps even stubborn. I do my best to guard against that and more or less "hang back in the weeds", when my feathers get ruffled.

The simplest things can be difficult to understand.-----These old motors with simple ideas will last many years.----I believe that you have mentioned this yourself many times.

Hey guys,

There is a thread dated 10-22-2019 in the Johnson forum, titled "new owner questions". Post # 5 may answer your question. I just happened upon it while scrolling through on lunch today like I always do.
Racer, Joe, Tim, and all others, you guys have helped me and so many people out with your knowledge. Always appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jay, but I am asking about Joe Reeves. Check that aforementioned post on the 1975 6 hp. Take care, appreciate you and all our fellow boaters.

Jay, I just messaged Al to find out if he is Joe Reeves' son. I know that Joe, like me, has only 1 son. Thanks.

Yes, me too. I tried Joe directly couple days ago no response. Maybe he travelled north to visit family. Thanks Mr. Scott.

Last edited:
Gee, I really hope he is around for many years to come. After reading dozens of threads, looking for insight on my 8HP Evinrude won’t idle, his was a name that continued to appear, always with good advice.
on another note, I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!
The little Rude purrs like a kitten, & will idle all day long.

Joe is a charter member here. He knows the business of outboard repair as well as anyone I have ever met. When he jumps into a thread, your in good hands. I have been repairing and rebuilding outboards for 50 years and I still learn plenty by reading his posts. If I ever get to Florida, I have to spend some time with him. He is already in his 80's.

For anyone concerned, got word from Joe and he is fine. We just might not see him posting anytime soon. He's gonna play like "Marco Polo" for awhile. Gotta Love that for sure, but gonna miss him like hell!

Back