Logo

'85 8hp Johnson Not Pumping Water

Maybe your supply tube is pushing too far into that little rubber composition coupling in the water pump outlet.....#57. Something in this union could be gunnyfunker.

Last edited:
Thank you vics and timguy,

Vics, I had never spun a pump by hand, so I'm not sure what the output should be. The top of the housing's output tube, was 1-2" below the water line, and on high I could see the water bulging directly over the output tube. Perhaps the impeller was compromised when I ran it with the water line below the pump? But that was for 5 seconds at most. The new pump went together smoothly, all the parts matched the former one, I'm usually very meticulous when doing such repairs. Of course, however, something could have went awry.

Timguy, the new housing matched the old housing and if I remember correctly, I didn't use that little rubber "adapter" piece that came with the kit, as I believed my water tube was too large to fit said rubber coupling. There must have been some reason I didn't use it. Let me double check the box the parts came in though to see if both adapters/couplings are in there.

Okay, now I remember, I didn't use the coupling for some reason. So, I just installed it, but there is obviously a mismatch because now I cannot push the lower unit up flush to the rest of the engine. Upon inspection I can see where the bottom of the water tube is hitting the inside of the coupling where it begins to taper inwards, maybe that's why I didn't use it. As I had mentioned, the new housing matched up to the old one. According to the directions that came with the kit, I am to use the "Longer" or "higher" coupling because that's the one for engine's with t-stats, so that's the coupling I am using, not sure what happened to the smaller one as I can't find it. (This is a kit from GLM)

I would readily order another kit, but as I see it, I currently have the correct parts. But clearly, either I need a shorter housing or a coupling that would allow more insertion of the water tube. Geez, at least we're getting somewhere

Last edited:
chem-tainer-industries-plastic-trash-cans-cbr60-64_1000.jpg This is a picture of a Home Depot Landscapers Barrel. They are available for about $50 and are large enough to accommodate even the largest lower units....even when equipped with a "Dole Fin" stabilizer. The barrel can be filled to a level that eliminates the possibility that the water level was insufficient for the pump to work. To drain the barrel you can use a 7 foot piece of old garden hose as a siphon. You can use the pee stream to fill that hose rather than wind up with a mouthful of water.

Interesting prostate analogy!!!

You are on to it now. Take some simple depth measurements.

Yeah I was thinking about taking a measurement once the water tube bottoms out in the coupling/grommet. But then what, cut down the housing's output tube and drill two holes so the grommet's "Pins" keep it in place perhaps? Seems shady as I typed that out, but it might be worth a shot. No way though that I have a unique setup here, I must have been given some mismatched parts.

Post some pictures of this stuff.-----There is not much that can be wrong with the pump.-----When you find the issue you might say-------" that was simple "

Post some pictures of this stuff.-----There is not much that can be wrong with the pump.-----When you find the issue you might say-------" that was simple "

You are 100% correct my friend, as a matter of fact, I've already said that to myself 😀 Now I've just got to fix it. I will report back

Hey Guys, I just realized I have the wrong grommet, I reread the water pump kit instructions and I have the grommet for units without t-stats, not sure where the correct grommet went. I'm guessing models without t-stats have shorter water tubes. I will now order a new grommet and report back with the results. Thanks again to timguy for bringing this grommet to my attention!

No problem just try to help. I am only learning too. Getting ideas from Vic, Racer, Bobby and others. This can be a real puzzle when the project can only be "imagined". "Hands on" we could probably help lots faster. Let us know what you find for sure. Thanks.

Success!! I installed the correct grommet today, filled my garbage can with water, fired it up, and water streamed perfectly from the tell tale! Now I have to deal with my cowl not fitting over the new Sierra fuel pump I put on, it's much thicker than stock. Anyway, thanks again for all the help and replies, but special thanks to timguy and Vics!!

Back