Logo

Crusader engine manufacturing date.

NedH

This is my first post so pardon me if this is a stupid question: I have a 28' Lyman Islander with two Crusader 5.0 liter FWC engines (Chevy 305's?). The serial numbers are: 72800 and 72791. I bought them to replace the original two RWC AMC 327's, which were stuck. They run great, but were a tight fit in the old boat! Can anybody tell me their age? They only have 500 +/- hours on them. I was told they are 220 HP.
Thanks, and I'm glad to join you.
Ned

I'm thinking that you should also be seeing some alpha characters.
If you know the alpha portion,
A = 5.7L
G = 5.0L
L = Std LH Rotation
(as viewed from the flywheel)
R = Rev RH Rotation (as viewed from the flywheel)

X indicates Closed Cooling System (or what they refer to as FWC, of which is a misnomer)
If no X and just a space, that indicates Raw Water Cooled.

If you go by the numeric portion only, and if I am looking at the chart correctly, these are year 2012.
If you see the A or G designation, they are either 5.0L or 5.7L SBC engines.

https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/faq/crusadermodelid.htm

Last edited:
The serial numbers you provided were assembled in 1987....and yes, the 305 CID engines were advertised @ 220HP ....

The serial numbers you provided were assembled in 1987....and yes, the 305 CID engines were advertised @ 220HP ....

Mark, you certainly know more about this than I do..... but I have a few questions.

In the 72800 and 72791 numbers..... according to the Crusader info, the first digit (7) represents the decade...... correct?
In the
72800 and 72791 numbers..... according to the Crusader info, the second digit (2) represents the year of that decade...... correct?

Doesn't this equate to decade 2010, and year 2012?

CrusaderModelId.jpg

The OP says "They only have 500 +/- hours on them."

What is the likelihood of 1987 engines having only 500 +/- hours on them?

Again, you certainly know more about this then I do!

Ned, how many bolts secure the intake manifolds to the cylinder heads?
If 12, then these would be in the Pre-Vortec era.
If only 8, then these would be later Vortec engines.

Last edited:
you tried to decode a 5 digit serial number using a reference that specifies a 6 digit serial number, which only applies to the 'newer generation' of Crusader engines....so none of the conclusions regarding dates are valid....

Thanks Mark and Ricardo. The boat is in Eliot, Maine and I'm in Phoenix so obviously I don't have access to it to count the manifold bolts! I was told that the engines were in storage for a while, so they may have been stored for a long while, who knows. They belonged to the owner of the yard I bought them from as the yard owner had re-engined his boat with diesels. Again obviously they had been maintained. Luckily for me. I hope to get the boat in the water next Spring, but first will have to replace some hoses, etc.
Again, thanks.
Ned

BTW 72800 is left hand rotation, 72791 right hand. They came with Model 10-17-006 Velvet drive transmissions, along with instruments and complete wiring harnesses.

Hello Makomark. I have a couple of Crusaders as well. Just got them for next to nothing, all complete 350`s and I believe 270 hp but not quite sure. Serial No. 63318 on on, the other I don`t have handy but starting with 63.ø I guess they are early 80`s or late 70`s? They got the Rochester QuadraJet carbs, are they any good? One is to be used in a 1961 Shepherd 19 feet Runabout and the other in a 1954 Chris Craft 22 Custom Sedan. I fully restore both boats. Thanks, Kjell from Norway.

the 633xx I would date in the fall of 1986 for it's manufacture date...

I believe the quadrajets are superb carburetors; their only drawback if tuning them takes a bit more effort than most....and some parts take some effort to find.

They should be fine for your projects....Good Luck!!

Back