Logo

1975 Evinrude 6hp Thermostat Question

Swarlos

Regular Contributor
I had posted a thread a month or so ago and someone had suggested I check to see if my thermostat was working. I opened the thermostat cap to have a look, it didn't look like it was stuck open, but while I was in there I decided to check that it was opening properly. I heated some water to 150 degrees, but I'm seeing very little change. It may have opened 3/16" or maybe I'm fooling myself. How much is the thermostat supposed to open if it's working properly? Is it supposed to move fairly quickly? Do I need to heat the water more? It's a fairly cheap replacement, so I'm leaning toward getting a new one.

They usually fail stuck open.------No worry that they stick closed.-----I use boiling water and they open fully in seconds.----Good to go.

I ran a couple more tests, it opened at 190 degrees, although not quickly. It stayed closed at 165 degrees. I see on the replacement thermostats that they're supposed to open at 143 degrees. Does it matter if it has to get to 190 degrees to open?

Last test I ran, put it in 190 degree water, watched it go from fully open to fully closed. Ended up fully closed at 160 degrees. Given the cost of a new one I'm just going to get a new one so I don't have to worry about it.

Last test I ran, put it in 190 degree water, watched it go from fully open to fully closed. Ended up fully closed at 160 degrees. Given the cost of a new one I'm just going to get a new one so I don't have to worry about it.

If it does not start to open until it is over 160F then it is definitely defective and should be replaced

Back