Logo

Honda 150hp, 4 stroke, mod BF150LD

Trompie

Hi
I am DEPERATE!! Since April 2019 marine agents in Knysna has tried to find what is wrong with my Honda 150hp, 4 stroke outboard motor. The work done so far by 3 different marine agents are as follows. Here is my story:
1. I went for a small cruise and suddenly the motor started running rough. This happened near my home on Thesen Island, Knysna on the Knysna lagoon
2. Not having a registered Honda agency nearby (they closed down in Knysna) I contacted Knysna Marine who are Yamaha agents.
3. They showed me that the thermostats and water circulating pump were rusted to pieces and replaced it including the spark plugs. They also showed me that there was slight rust discolouration inside the CYLINDER HEAD. They returned the motor “repaired” and I settled the act with them.
4. Two days later I again decided to go on a sundown cruise with my wife. We went in idle mode slowly cruising and after 20 minutes suddenly the alarm went off and the motor cut out. After a minute I started the motor and after another few minutes the alarm went off again with the motor cutting out. We proceeded to get home with alarm going on and motor cutting out every few minutes.
5. The motor was collected by Knysna Marine, checked and then they told me they do not want to work on Honda motors as they are Yamaha agent and gave me the name of a Mr. Fred Kapp from One Stop Marine in Knysna who accepted the motor and told me he had actually worked for 6 years on Honda outboard motors for the Honda agent in Knysna until they closed their doors.
6. He proceeded to strip the whole motor including the engine block, took photos of corroded parts. He then cleaned out all the water channels which was partially blocked including the water inlet channelling the water into the motor, etc. His invoice to me referred to the following items repaired, replaced and work done ie; Remove + refit cylinder head / engineering / high pressure fuel filter / engine oil / head gasket / strip and assemble power head / water test. He brought the motor back, we went for a cruise speeding up to 6000 rpm and then went down to idle speed with ,motor just ticking over until we moored at my jetty upon which the alarm went off again and the motor cutting out. I started the motor again the next day and the same problem occurred ie alarm went off and motor cut out. After collecting the motor again and according to him doing everything possible to locate the fault he told me to collect my motor and was not prepared to continue in other words he could not find the fault and gave up. I settled his account.
7. I was then told to take the motor to Tait Marine who I now discovered works on Honda motors as well but not sure if they are now the Honda agents. Be that as it may they checked everything that could possibly be the cause of the alarm going off, tested the motor at speed and returned same as now being OK. I waited till the next morning, started the motor and after 1 minute the same problem ie. alarm and cut out. This went on for a few days ie them testing and returning the motor and me starting it at the jetty and 1 minute later the alarm goes off and the motor cuts out. Someone told us to check the oil level is not too high, which its was, they drained the oil to the correct level, tested water pump, thermostats, etc but the problem is still the same. They even had the luck of being visited by a Honda rep and showed him the motor and discussing the problem. The motor is still with TAIT Marine but they are unable to find the problem.
8. SO AFTER MONTHS OF WORK, ALL POSSIBLE FAULTY PARTS REPLACED INCLUDING THE ELECTRONIC UNIT, THE MOTOR PROBLEM HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED. How is this possible? I know all these people and know that they tried their utmost but cannot find the fault. I do not know who to turn to anymore and feel like going on social media and telling everyone of my problem with this Honda machine and hopefully finding someone with the necessary knowledge but warning everyone to beware. My last resort now to avoid this, is to try agents like yourself and others to see if there isn’t someone with the answer.,
You are welcome to contact me on my cell 082 468 2191 for any information you need. It will be greatly appreciated as I’ve now spent a lot of money and the original fault is still there.
Failing which I’m quite prepared to publicly destroying this motor on my industrial property for all to see.
Regards
Trompie Barnard

Did they do the diagnostics on it and got a code that will reference the problem .Change the LAF sensor its similar to an oxygen sensor except of having 4 wires its got 5. The part no 35668 ZY6 003.

Last edited:
Back