Logo

85 black max 200 dva results - bad trigger?

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Here are some numbers I got today: sn is 628*** 200 black max, 85 iirc- comp is fine on all 6, 120 across the board..

Intermittent spark across most cyls, but cyl 4 is awful, on and off, fluttering about-

I double checked the kill switch (yellow/black wires removed made no difference)
I also disconnected the reg/rect (no difference).
Carbs just rebuilt, max timing set at 20 degrees cranking, idles around 6 degrees ATDC-

Huge puffs of smoke on startup and a really nasty eye burning smell (unburned fuel). I mixed a fresh mix of 50:1 for testing. Battery fully charged and all connections in good shape.

Here are the results:

DVA: (motor idling)

2-4-6 (outer switch box/YELLOW sleeve):
purple to gnd: 4.3v
white to gnd: 15v ***
brown to gnd: 4.3v
Blue (low speed) to gnd: 314v
Red to gnd (high speed): 198v

1-3-5 (inner switch box/ BLACK sleeve):
purple to gnd: 5v
white to gnd: 4v
brown to gnd: 6v
Blue (low speed) to gnd: 266v
Red to gnd (high speed): 203v

Stator (2 yellow wires): 92v (at idle)

Bias circuits (wire disconnected and measured terminal to ground):
Both: 960 ohms (ill have to recheck 2moro to make sure the k or M wasnt appearing, it was dark with a headlight), "should" be 9000 or 15000 depending on make ive read.. so IF this is outside those specs could the switch boxed also be bad?

Considering #4 trigger coil also operates #2 cylinder I doubt its the trigger. Swap box postions and retest to see if problem followed the box. If so swap as a pair. If engine has a idle/advance box disconnect it. You can check bia's voltage with regular meter. Engine running ,meter set at 20VDC..if using a DVA meter set to 20VDC not 20 DVA. Red to ground and blk to terminals should read NEG 10-30 volts at idle. If in spec disconnect rectifier and check switchbox output.

Last edited:
Thanks faztbullet! - I do set the meter to DC, also - i had such erratic spark happening, so i loosened the coil wires and re-tightened, boom miss gone! taking it to the water today to see-

Ill test the circuits, why the NEG result? is there a reason? all the readings i took yesterday were good (DVA and ohms) so I really started scratching my head..

I was under the impression never to run paired switch boxes without the bias wire connected (and both grounded at all times which they are), correct?

Also - any ideas on how to use the Pack Load Resistor from cdi? instructions:

"Check the DVA output on the Green wires from the switch box while connected to the ignition coils. Check the readingon the switch box terminal AND on the ignition coil terminal. You should have a reading of at least 150V or more (whileconnected) at both places. If the reading is low on one cylinder, disconnect the Green wire from the ignition coil for thatcylinder and reconnect it to a load resistor. Retest. If the reading is now good, the ignition coil is likely bad. A continued lowreading indicates a bad power pack."

Do you connect the load resistor inline between the green wire to coil terminal and then test on the small open ended wired? And which side goes where or does it not matter?

667-5119775.jpg

hi guys still stuck on this motor, intermittent miss across random cylinders, new packs, all ohms and dva check out.. red side is very high tho, 130v plus but spec is 20v+..

happens at off idle to 2500, 4 cyls have the same issue. new trigger on the way but could stator cause this? no dva drops either..

Back