Logo

1988 4.3 distributor...

Oxbow26

I purchased a 1986 PennYan and according to the numbers on the motor it is a 1988 4.3

i decided to buy a new cap, rotor, points, plugs and wires for it and using the numbers I had from engine made my purchase.

After i I removed my cap I see that I have what appears to be a conversion. However Pertronix web site doesn’t show me any parts for the 4.3 engine.

Im looking for information/part numbers etc for the distributor cap, the rotor, the ignition module piece inside etc so that I can be prepared when the time comes to replace them. Can anyone help identify what I have?
335837c0-683d-4674-ba34-a5a50e342ef5

If your now existing ignition system has been changed to a Pertronix triggering system, it would have been a system for the type/brand of distributor.
If the distributor is no longer OEM, then you need to identify it.

Examples:

Older Prestolite (and Prestolite copies) uses two screws to secure the cap to the housing.
Older Mallory uses two flip up clamps w/ screws to secure the cap to the housing.

Is this engine part of an OMC Cobra system? If so the distributor is a mechanical advance Prestolite and you can get the cap and rotor from either BRP, or Sierra. Check on this site using your model number...it will start with either a 434 (4.3 V6, 4bbl carb) or 432 (same engine 2bbl carb) and then there will be a series of letters, the P or M refer to power or manual steering, the rest are just more specific identifers for the model #.

Back