Logo

Automotive or Marine Coolant Circ. Pump?

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys

On a std. rotation Gm V8 with a closed cooling system would a standard rotation automotive coolant circulation pump provide more efficient cooling over a marine style pump with a bi directional impeller?

Just curious

Thanks

Jon Allen

Jon, I can't answer your question regarding which type would be more efficient.
Here is what I do know:

These are centrifugal pumps.

The automotive Circulating pump is directional.
The impeller is made of stamped steel, and would be prone to rust/corrosion if used on a Raw Water cooled engine.
The impeller blades are typically angled as to create a more efficient centrifugal pumping action.
The ceramic shaft seal requires ethylene glycol for lubrication.
The internal porting is designed to work in a std rotation direction.
The Auto version works well in a Std Rotation Marine engine with a Closed Cooling System.

The Bidirectional Marine Circulating pump impeller is made from either SS or bronze, and is not prone to rust/corrosion.
The blades/vanes typically run straight out from the center axis of the shaft, yet still function centrifugally.
The shaft seal is suitable for use in seawater or ethylene glycol.
The internal porting allows for either rotation.
This version is suitable for either a Raw Water cooled engine or a Closed Cooling system engine.

Examples only:

engine circulating pump impeller types.jpg

no noticeable improvement in efficiency....

I'll go with Mark on that one!

The circulating pump's job is to charge the cylinder block and cylinder heads with coolant (coolant = ocean water, river water, lake water or ethylene glycol).
The thermostat holds back coolant and releases coolant on an "on demand" basis.
The circ pump will almost always provide more coolant than necessary for engine heat removal.

In Jon Allen's case, the short body GM automotive circulating pump will work just fine.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Money not an issue here.

My thought is that the curved impeller vanes on the automotive pump may be more efficient.

Thanks

Jon Allen

The limiting factor of the efficiency of a FWC system is a function of the heat exchanger. Marine cooling systems are designed to be able to vastly overcool the engine with the purpose of the thermostat to keep the engine warm enough.

Back