Logo

2008 9.9 Power Thrust 4 stroke Remote to tiller conversion.

Gerry C.

I am thinking about buying a 9.9 honda 4 stroke off a sailboat. It is currently set up for remote control, but comes with neither tiller or remote controls. Is it a big deal to convert to full tiller control? It also is equipped with electric starter. Also would I be able to sta

Hi,
I'm answering you because no one else has. That and the fact I've never done the job you're asking about is my disclaimer about the accuracy of what I'm about to say.

Can you convert to full tiller control? Yes, I believe that you certainly can. But if you look at what you need to buy in order to do so (see parts page in link below) I don't think it's very affordable.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda.../9-9hp/bf9-9dk3-shsa-2007-and-later/handlebar

What you might want to consider is looking for a tiller handle on craigslist or ebay.

Or, if you happen on a junk older model for cheap. the parts will transfer if it's a "D" model WITH electric start and all the rest might come in handy at some point too.

That's my take on the subject.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment. I'm making this a winter project, so I do have some time to look around. I agree that the used market is the way to go, and since I don't have a lot invested in it, the worst scenario would be to sell it. I posted the thrread mainly to get positive or negative feedback. Thanks again.

Thanks. To finish my first post, would it be possible to start the engine without the tiller or controls to check it's running condition? I do have the gas tank & line. My goal is to end up with a short shaft tiller model, so l'm assuming if I can find a similar engine for parts that I'll be able to use the lower unit & controls on mine and then sell my long shaft ass'y. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you should be able to start it and throttle it up at the carburetor with a stick or your finger. You can probably even manipulate the shift shaft by hand as well.

The trick is to locate the kill switch wiring in order to make sure the ignition isn't grounded so that it will start and to then be able to shut her down easily.

Yes, the kill switch wire is my concern. I'll check it for fire first, then proceed from there. The default without controls is most likely a grounded circuit though. I could try disconnecting wires until I get fire & then hook up the gas line. Thanks

Default is open circuit, it will run but you will have to ground the black/red to stop the engine or just let it run out of fuel

Thanks . I'm hoping for a mild day to connect a water supply to the water intake. I haven't looked for a flushing port yet, but plan to get at it soon. Right now I'm getting my other stuff ready for winter. So I'll probably just remove the air intake, and if it starts simply choke it out to stop it. Again, I just want to make sure it runs ok before putting time & money into a conversion. I still have to find out if it (long shaft) can be swapped out for a short shaft ass'y as well.

Ok. That narrows down my options to either converting to a tiller control with new or used parts & raising my boat transom, which is very do-able, or selling the motor. Another concern is that threre doesn't appear to be any steering friction lever. Could this be fitted with one without removing the power head. I appreciate your input and thank you guys.

Well I hooked up a water hose and gas line to the engine today and it started but ran rough & intermittently during the warm up (no manual choke) but ran great after a few minutes. I will be looking for the parts I need over the winter. one more thing I want to check the starter,so I'm assuming I just hook up the positive wire from a battery to the bolt on the starter solenoid and the negative from the battery to ground on the motor? Would this be correct? Thanks

Put power to the solenoid stud that connects to the starter cable and then ground the other cable and that will energise the starter

Back