Logo

Overheating

i. I have a Volvo Penta 3 litre GLP-E
Petrol engine. The temperature is fluctuating all the time. At high speeds it is constantly at 175 degrees but increases at lower speeds. I replaced the impeller (the old on disintegrated) and also replaced the thermostat and sensor. Any ideas??

Could it be a problem with the riser? Or could the old impeller bits have blocked something?

i. I have a Volvo Penta 3 litre GLP-E
Petrol engine. The temperature is fluctuating all the time. At high speeds it is constantly at 175 degrees but increases at lower speeds. I replaced the impeller (the old on disintegrated) and also replaced the thermostat and sensor. Any ideas??

Could it be a problem with the riser? Or could the old impeller bits have blocked something?

Probably in your thermostat housing, i believe there's a small passage internally. The chances any impeller got past the thermostat is slim. Any that did were small enough to pass through the rest of the system. Assuming you're getting good outflow of water when running. Blocked risers is definitely a possibility if they haven't been serviced recently.

Probably in your thermostat housing, i believe there's a small passage internally. The chances any impeller got past the thermostat is slim.
Agree.
Here is a schematic that will show the 3.0 GLP-E seawater path.

23908.jpg

For more info, visit this web page;
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-cat-7745970.aspx

Any that did were small enough to pass through the rest of the system. Assuming you're getting good outflow of water when running.
Blocked risers is definitely a possibility if they haven't been serviced recently.

Thank you for your help. I’ll check the risers

While SEQ #14 is referred to as a Riser, it is actually an elbow. (no riser or spacer is used on the 3.0 GLP-E)

23407.jpg

My suggestion would be to pull these components apart and look for the impeller pieces and retrieve them.

Back