Logo

1989 DP-A adding gear lube.

Fishmaster23

Regular Contributor
Is this the correct procedure for adding gear oil to this old Volvo penta dp-a drive? I drained it out, then pulled off the shift cover housing and removed that hex plug and filled it up back through that upper plug next to the shift linkage. I did this with the outdrive trimmed up. I have a swim platform so I didn't trim it all the way up, but pouring the oil into that little hole took like 10 minutes to get the specified 2.85qts in.

I found an old service manual online and that's how I did it
The oil was right in the middle of the flat section on the dipstick.

Every method says to use a pump from the bottom up, but I didn't want to lose any fluid switching the pump over to 3 bottles. I think the pump method is for the newer models where you pump fluid in until it comes out the upper hole.

Is this the correct procedure for adding gear oil to this old Volvo penta dp-a drive? I drained it out, then pulled off the shift cover housing and removed that hex plug and filled it up back through that upper plug next to the shift linkage.
Yes, that is the correct method.

I did this with the outdrive trimmed up. I have a swim platform so I didn't trim it all the way up, but pouring the oil into that little hole took like 10 minutes to get the specified 2.85qts in.
NOTE: the AQ series Duo Prop requires GL-5 gear lube..... not 30w or 40W engine oil as with the s/p drives.

I found an old service manual online and that's how I did it
The oil was right in the middle of the flat section on the dipstick.
With the drive in the down position, that is correct!

Every method says to use a pump from the bottom up, but I didn't want to lose any fluid switching the pump over to 3 bottles. I think the pump method is for the newer models where you pump fluid in until it comes out the upper hole.
Those are likely Merc A drive instructions, or for the later Volvo Penta gimbal suspension drives.

Back