Logo

2017 Mercury Verado 350 Critical Actuator Alert

E14njb

Hi, I'm hoping you guys can help me out with an issue with my Merc engine.

I have a 2017 model, it's just had its 100 hour service. Engine was running great with no issues prior. After the service I started the engine which was in forward drive. I thought it was my mistake, however the gear was in neutral, I started it again and again it was in drive, permanently.

The mechanic who serviced the engine believed it to be a lower drive issue, he replaced a bent shaft (a small one in the gearbox) and reattched the gearbox, however now the engine display on my nav unit is showing a critical error relative to the actuator.

He has again removed the lower casing but the actuator is only moving very slightly, it looks as though though it cant select the drive as the movement is blocked or something is stopping it.

The mechanic I am using isnt great, I'm over in florida on a vacation and some 7 days into a 10 day trip the boat still isnt in operation.

Does anyone have any experience of such an issue and how it was rectified?

Thanks in advance!

You need to find a dealer who can service this. I can sit here and explain to you what the issue may be but that would be useless.

If you are getting and ESC fault it may just be the actuator and nothing in the lower unit. If your Mechanic opened up the lower you may now have an issue with your lower.

There is a reflash of the PCM for your engine for the stuck in gear not shifting back to neutral issue, This problem shows it self when using a certain prop and hub combo.

Where are you in FL?

You need to find a dealer who can service this. I can sit here and explain to you what the issue may be but that would be useless.

If you are getting and ESC fault it may just be the actuator and nothing in the lower unit. If your Mechanic opened up the lower you may now have an issue with your lower.

There is a reflash of the PCM for your engine for the stuck in gear not shifting back to neutral issue, This problem shows it self when using a certain prop and hub combo.

Where are you in FL?

Thanks. I’m in fort myers. Problem I have is the mechanic has no clue what he is doing.

Are there any basic checks I can do to identify any obvious issues that would help resolve the problem?

Negative.

You cannot test the actuator with out the G3 Diagnostic software. The only way the actuator will move is during cranking, to find neutral and running.

You cannot run the Verado with out the lower unit in place.

Find a Mercury dealer in Ft Myers.

You can pull the actuator off and test it while still plugged into the harness on the engine. Engine has to be running.

Do not move the actuator by hand while hooked to the harness. It will generate an electrical charge.

The actuator just another name for a shift switch its got 2 wires all it does is send a message to the ECU open or closed circuit you can simply test it with a meter .In neutral the circuit should be closed in gear open circuit. 1st you need to find out if the guy who worked on it if he knew what gear box rotation you have on your motor standard or counter rotation because the cable settings are different if you get this wrong it will affect the actuator circuit and the ecu will get the wrong message .

Last edited:
The actuator just another name for a shift switch its got 2 wires all it does is send a message to the ECU open or closed circuit you can simply test it with a meter .In neutral the circuit should be closed in gear open circuit. 1st you need to find out if the guy who worked on it if he knew what gear box rotation you have on your motor standard or counter rotation because the cable settings are different if you get this wrong it will affect the actuator circuit and the ecu will get the wrong message .

This is a perfect example of not being familiar with an engine you are giving advice on.

It is a Verado Outboard and is a DTS engine. Digital Throttle and shift.There are no control cables.

I have to admit that i have not studied this motor thoroughly the older motors came with cables ,this actuator then is a Linear Actuator .

Verado was only available in DTS. Yes, it is a Linear feedback actuator.

Thanks for your advice on this. I managed to find a mercury spe******t who has fixed the issue. The gears were simply not aligned which he sorted quickly. Actuator is fine, that wasn’t in a neutral position, so the entire thing was incorrectly installed.

Lesson on learned here, only stick with spe******ts. The company I used were not cheap so it wasn’t a case of me wanting to cut corners.

Thanks for your advice on this. I managed to find a mercury spe******t who has fixed the issue. The gears were simply not aligned which he sorted quickly. Actuator is fine, that wasn’t in a neutral position, so the entire thing was incorrectly installed.

Lesson on learned here, only stick with spe******ts. The company I used were not cheap so it wasn’t a case of me wanting to cut corners.

Good news for you.... Your engine should still be under Warranty.....

Back