Logo

Crusader 8.1 - Exhaust manifold bolts

Oshnjoe

We are currently in the process of replacing the exhaust manifolds on both of our 8.1s. While removing the old bolts (32 total) almost half snapped off and had to be drilled, easy-outed and/or left hand drill bit out, and/or collapsed with pieces pulled out (what a job that has been). The question is this: does anyone ever add any type of coating/sealant to the new bolts before installing them?

thanks

Last edited:
Ayuh,...... Some years ago, I too, woulda said never-seize, but that was before a Great mechanic friend taught me about Quicksilver perfect seal,.....
Aka: Permatex form a gasket #3,.......

I haven't used never-seize since I discovered how much better perfect seal works to keep threads from rustin' or corrodin',.....

Bill, I am a big fan of the Quicksilver “Perfect Seal“. Perfect Seal is excellent in cooler or potentially wet areas.

shopping

However, in my opinion exhaust manifold bolts is not the right place for it!

The automotive version Never-Seez is the best product for these hot and dry threaded areas.

shopping

By the way, the automotive Never-Seez should NOT be used on components that are below the water line!
If used below the water line and in certain scenarios, it can quickly become Always-Seez!

Last edited:
The Marine Grade product is intended to protect metal components that are below the water line.

Automotive Never-Seez or Anti-seize contains the correct materials for dry and high heat area threads.

Your call!

thanks for the input. Not my call, so we shall see. Though I will say that with all of the saltwater had apparently come in both the port and starboard engine space vents, both engine's outboard components saw a lot of the salty stuff. We are considering making some type of deflector to address this apparent problem.

sounds like you need a dorade box added to the inlets....a couple ideas for these can be found at the bertram31 dot com site.....

Back