Logo

Stuck impeller 7.4MIE

sandkicker

Outstanding Contributor
The owner's yard did a pump rebuild kit 3 seasons ago. Boat lightly used. There was an issue with a suction leak on raw water inlet to this FWC engine and destroyed impeller on start up this season.

Could not pry impeller off so...
I cut off one vane and sliced down front to back with a broken hack saw blade all the way down to the steel shaft. The bond between the steel shaft and the impeller composite insert is stronger than the bond between the insert and the impeller itself and stronger than the bond between the layers of the insert for that matter.

Any suggestions???

My theory... the composite insert in the impeller wasn't totally cured and the heat of the dry running impeller caused the residual uncured epoxy to set and bond the the shaft.

Attachments

• 74MIE_Impeller.jpg
    74MIE_Impeller.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 43
More vertical cut line you've done and small cold chisel to knock pieces off, sand or scitchbrite disc the shaft to get debris off.

Sigh... was afraid of that...What you see is several hours of work with a sharp wood chisel I which used to cut off the impeller from the insert and then tried to pry the insert from the shaft with the same chisel (carefully).
More elbow grease and muttering in my future. Thanks....

Sawzall down vertically, cut off wheel on grinder, oscillating cut off tool would be my thoughts... and a few beers

Last edited:
Not my boat, doing a good friend a favor... and the replacement pump is over $700. In any event, some careful work with a dremel with a cutoff wheel and a broken hacksaw blade for the last 1/4 inch and some colorful words, and it came off to reveal a quite rusted shaft. A few mins with a wire brush and got it bright and shiny and revealed that there is old rust under the new rust. Sooo... will be coating the pump shaft with neoprene seal safe grease before I reassemble with complete rebuild kit. Bt Doctur...thanks for the offer!

Back