Logo

AQAD30A Black smoke and lack of power

DarioBal

Dear people, I introduce myself. My name is Darío, I'm from Argentina, Buenos Aires and a sailing enthusiast. I have an Aquamare 690 cruise ship from 1985 in good condition. But for some time the engine (Volvo Penta AQAD30A 110 HP with turbo) does not give more than 2500 rpm and at 2000 rpm it emits black smoke. I already checked injectors, changed the diesel filters, replaced hoses and even changed the fuel tank. I also had the turbo repaired. It only remains for me to have the injector pump checked and repaired.
Some tell me that I may be "exceeded propeller", that is, the propellers are large. However, the DP290 manual advises propellers from A3 to A10. I have placed an A6 game, that is, I am in the middle range, but the problem remains.
I will be grateful if you can help me to specify the diagnosis through your experience.
Thanks for your help. Cordially.

Check hull for fouling or anything that might cause drag. A6 for a 110 hp is aggressive as I run these props on my 200 hp AD41 engines.
What rpm did you expect to attain?

Thanks for your comment Skiss. Before this problem it reached 3800rpm, and 15 knots of speed. At some point I changed the A3 propellers for A6 but I can't remember if the problem started with this change. Right now, in a vacuum, that is, without sailing, the engine reaches 4000 rpm without smoking.
I will repair my A3 propellers and try them again.

Back