Logo

Sea Ray shift cable

Hey Larry

Good afternoon all. I recently bought a 1979 sea ray SRV 195. It has a SE 106 stern drive. When I pull the shift handle back from forward to neutral, it stays in forward. I have to pull past neutral for it to actually go into neutral. This makes going into reverse tough. It starts to throttle up before it gets into reverse. My question is, can the cable be adjusted to remedy this. I was told its the reverse gear in the lower unit causing the problem. Doesn't sound right to me. Thank you for any assistance.

Search met those shift cable adjustment on YouTube there is one by chrisa660 that is quite good. Try adjustment and look for drag on cable if you can’t adjust it or cable is corroded/drags cable will need replacement

Drop it to 650-750 and retry shifting. The closer to 650 the better
If rpm is to high it can cause the issues you describe

When I pull the shift handle back from forward to neutral, it stays in forward. I have to pull past neutral for it to actually go into neutral.

Ayuh,...... Sounds like the shift switch is disconnected,......

I am new to the boating world. I'll have to figure where this is at and then I can check it. Thanks for the input.

Ayuh,.... The shift switch is on the shift plate, where the forward shift cable connects to the lower shift cable,.....

Back