Logo

Solex 44 PA1 Carburettor fuel fittings.

moresparks

Regular Contributor
HI,
Does anyone know the size of the Hollow Screw (Banjo Bolt) that feeds the fuel into the Solex 44PA1 carburettors? The Volvo Penta part number is 824711. The thread diameter looks like its 10mm.
Whilst laying up the engine for the winter I noticed a slight weep of petrol from the bolt. I have cleaned the fittings and even used stat-O-Seals but it looks like the thread in the carburettor is worn and I cannot fully tighten.
I have a couple of options including a slight increase in size and re-tapping, or trying to use JB Weld to “Re-Thread”. Not sure if the JB Weld will be a long term fix though?
Web search is confusing as they often state that the older Solex Carburettors use M12 x 1.25 Banjo Bolts.
I can get the Hollow screw from our regional Volvo Penta Dealer but if the carburettor top cover has a worn thread, I am wasting money and time.
Anyone had any success with JB Weld or alternative thread repair kits?
Thanks in Advance.

Hi many thanks for responding,
Mikes Carburettor videos are excellent and I have used them, but unfortunately it doesn’t give me the answer to my problem. I can source the Banjo Bolt here in the UK no problem it’s just the thread on the top cover of the carburettor that is worn. In an ideal world I would buy a new top cover but they are just not available. There are two versions of the cover and second hand complete carburettors sometimes appear on auction sites but that will be a gamble. There is not a lot of body to fit a thread insert and some of the thread repair compounds are not compatible with modern gasoline with Ethanol. I wonder if a small brass insert fitted (hammered) into the hole and use the bolt to "tap" the thread would work?

You may want to see if you can find a carb shop that deals with classic VWs as they used solex carbs and may be able to affect a correct repair by rethreading or enlarging your inlet.

Hi
Reports back suggest that a thread insert “would” be the way to go but there is not a lot of body to drill and fit a thread inset (helicoil). What worries me the most in fitting one is that the fitting on the top cover is angled and lining up to get the hole perfectly square is difficult, despite access to a pillar drill.
At the moment I am trying the JB Weld repair and also testing a small blob in a small container of gasoline to check on its longevity. The other option is that it looks like the banjo bolt is 10mm diameter with a fine pitch. I could go 3/8 imperial sized Banjo Bolt and tapping for the helicoil without resorting to a drill?

Even while carburetor fuel pressure is rather low, this area is still under mild pressure.
IMO, this is NOT an area to experiment on regarding using JB Weld, thread inserts, heli-coils, etc. .

Most insurance companies would frown on this type of make-shift repair, and would most likely (in the event of an incident) deny any claim.
Not to mention that you'd be putting yourself, friends and family at risk.

It's not worth it. Find the part that you need and use it as a replacement, or find a new or good working replacement carburetor.

Last edited:
That’s interesting regarding the “heli-coil repair” .. Some carburettor repair spe******ts offer to repair the fuel inlet fittings with a heli-coil where there are stripped threads providing a studlock is applied. If this repair is a definite “no” then I am stumped. My only hope is to look for a donor carburettor on one of the auction sites as the 44 PA1 is now a rare beast. Still I have until the spring to sort it out!

Back