Logo

New Power pack failure

Bock16

If you search my last post, I just did a lot of work to my Johnson 35 J35ELCSM. I have probably run the outboard for less than 10 hours since all that work, and while cruising at WOT lost all spark. It was immediate loss of power. I've been troubleshooting it today, and finally put the old power pack back on and got the spark back. Any idea why it would fail? It was a new OEM powerpack from Marine Engine.

If you search my last post, I just did a lot of work to my Johnson 35 J35ELCSM. I have probably run the outboard for less than 10 hours since all that work, and while cruising at WOT lost all spark. It was immediate loss of power. I've been troubleshooting it today, and finally put the old power pack back on and got the spark back. Any idea why it would fail? It was a new OEM powerpack from Marine Engine.

It happens.

I had one fail after only a few hours on a brand new motor.

Set a volt-meter so that it will register the smallest amount of DC voltage.
Remove the black/yellow lead from the ign switch M term.
Connect the meter leads between the M term and grd.
If "any" voltage registers, anything! Replace the ign sw.
Any, "any", voltage to that wire will damage the pack.

If "no" voltage, not even the smallest amount exists at that M terminal, but with the blk/yel wire removed, you have spark, and with it connected you do not, the ign sw has an internal problem shorting to grd. Replace it anyway.

If no spark in either of the cases above, I'd suspect the pack.

Back