Logo

Honda 150 4 stroke starting problems

Meaxculpa

My friends Honda 150 four stroke starts every time on a cold start but after running the motor to a typical operating temperature if you turn said motor off absolutely nothing happens. No clicks, no turning over just dead. After an hour or two of rest the motor will restart like normal.???
Any help would be aprreciated

Thanks
Mark

Hi Meaxculpa

While a faulty neutral switch will cause a "no crank" condition, they don't cause intermittent "totally dead" conditions. From what you wrote this sounds like a complete power loss. Is that right? When you turn the key, no beeps or lights on the control compared to when it is starting cold?

If it is a total loss of power the solution may actually be quite simple even if a bit laborous.

This sounds to me like just a bad connection or possibly a faulty cable. I suggest doing some basic cleaning of all the connections ESPECIALLY the ones for both battery cables. Boats have a MUCH higher incidence of corroded connections than pretty much any other type of conveyance. Electricity NEEDS shiny, bright connections in order to travel. Remember...ground connections are JUST as important as the "hot" voltage connections. As a matter of fact, electrons travel from negative to positive in an electrical CIRCUIT. i capitalized circuit to emphasize this point. It's exactly as it says....the elecrons HAVE to travel in a COMPLETE circuit but many people only focus on the parts of the circuit that have voltage all the time....ignoring the grounds. Don't be "that guy"

Disconnect BOTH battery cables and clean, clean, clean the posts and cable ends. While they are STILL disconnected follow each and find where they connect at the engine. Disconnect them both there and clean, clean, clean the cable ends AND the points of contact the ends make at the engine. See? I told you there would be WORK.

I'm guessing that once you've got that accomplished and hooked back up.....saving the POSITIVE connection at the battery for LAST...and everything there is clean and TIGHT...Your friends issue will have gone away.

But IF NOT....

Since you say you have a METER (hopefully a good quality digital one)
Go online and Google VOLTAGE DROP TESTING. There are many good tutorials and videos on volt drop testing with a multimeter.

Volt drop testing can help you EASILY identify a bad cable, wire or connection AS THE CIRCUIT IS ENERGIZED.

If my little clean up doesn't work you will need to go forward with volt drop tests STARTING with the battery cables.

One other thing that you should use the meter for is to check the CHARGING VOLTAGE at the battery posts. It is possible that, if the battery is being overcharged, the battery could be in "distress" because of it and could also cause this symptom. I doubt it but it's too EASY to check not to check it out. You will want to see about 13.6 to 14.2 volts at the battery while engine is idling and at 2500 rpm. Anything over 14.5 volts is overcharging and anything less than 13.6 volts is probably under charging.

Anyway, I hope this helps you and feel free to ask any and all questions.

Good luck.

Yes it is a complete total loss, and it's only the one of 2 engines that is doing it, dont know if mentioned that in the beginning, i hope that it really dosent matter having the pair as opposed to one....Anywho i thank you again for the response and the time on this matter, will update as soon as i can get to it....

Thank you
Mark

Ok jump, my buddy says "
One difference,* my ignition switch lights up and beeps upon turning the key in any situation. both when starting normally and when trying the warm restart.* Its the motor that is totally dead with no noise."
Maybe start at the nuetral switch then?

Mark

Yes, in that case the neutral start switch might cause your problem.
Cleaning the battery cables is still a good idea anyway as preventive maintenance and getting to know your way around the electrical system but neutral switch check will come first.

Item 22 in the parts page link below.

You can test the switch by either unplugging it and use an OHMMETER (digital meter set to ohm scale). Probe the connector and look for resistance to go from infinite (OL on most newer meters) when shifter is in gear to less than 3 or 4Ω when in neutral.

If yo know how to properly "backprobe" the connection you may do that and use the volt meter to check for voltage going through the switch while still plugged in and ignition switch turned on. If you aren't familiar with backprobing then you may want to skip that because, it is "invasive" and the wires or connector could be damaged without the best tools and proper technique.

Or, when the engine won't crank you can simply unplug the switch and use a piece of jumper wire to connect the two terminals on the engine side of the connector. This method eliminates the switch and substitutes the jumper. If the switch was causing the no crank, the engine should turn over so make SURE the shifter is in neutral to lessen the possibility of an accident.

If you find that the switch is not the problem then it's on to the next things that could be causing trouble.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...150hp/bf150ak0-xca-2007-and-later/shift-shaft

I would like to thank all who replied, you guys are the bomb.com and thanks for all your help...It was the neutral switch and again I appreciate all the help...

Mark

Back