Logo

Yamaha VMax 150 OX66 cranks but won't start help needed

Dsalinas

I have a Yamaha VMAX 150 OX66 saltwater series that will crank but won't start. I checked for spark and am not getting spark on any of the cylinders. I believe the problem is somewhere maybe with the emergency lanyard switch or the alarm that sounds when u pull the lanyard. When I pull the lanyard and crank motor the emergency alarm does not sound , so I was wondering if there is a way I could jump or bypass it so I can see if the problem is there in the switch or alarm circuit or if have a electrical problem beyond that. If anyone could provide some help would be a real blessing. Thanks in advance

I wouldn't try jump-starting it. I would instead remove the control box cover and test the kill switch. Just disconnect the white wire, and see if you can start the engine. If not, then the kill switch isn't your problem (because it's normally an open circuit when the lanyard is installed).

I would also look at your relays and fuses. Not sure how many you have, but you should be able to tell if you look at a parts diagram or get the service manual.

Back