Logo

2013 Honda 9.9 wont start.

D.Graumenz

Good afternoon.

I have a 2013 Honda four stroke 9.9. Three weeks ago this motor would only Idle/start with 1/8 of choke. If you gave it any throttle it would die. Any more or less choke and it would not start. I removed the carburetor and everything was clean. I did notice some water droplets in the bowl. This made me assume I had water in the gas. I got new gas and returned to the motor two weeks later. With the new gas hooked up I quickly realized the choke was stuck and the throttle control would not move.

I again removed the carburetor and this time the whole carburetor was filled with corrosion and every part was seized. This motor was not left in the water between the first time i removed the carburetor ( was clean) and the second time (competently seized up). I ordered a brand new carburetor and put the old one to the side soaking in solvent. I installed the new carburetor, New spark Plugs ( as they had signs of corrosion), and had brand new gas non ethanol, with stabil and the motor will not start.

Fuel pump is pumping gas, Carburetor has fuel in the bowl. Spark plugs are sparking ( tested with spark tester and got a strong spark). Green oil pressure light is lighting up. I even sprayed some starting fluid in the carburetor intake just to see if it would try to start and it did nothing.

This will be a far stretch, but I experienced similar behavior on a leaf blower of all things and found that it was the flywheel and timing issue.

Well....that's a tough one!
Sorry you're having trouble with your Honda.

So let's go over the basics. You need 5 things for an engine to run:

Air....check.....well....maybe.(see timing)
Fuel...check
Spark.....check
Compression....?
Timing.....?

Timing means TWO things....
1. valves have to open and close at the proper sequence related to the piston's movement. This is achieved with proper installation and tension of the timing belt.
The valves also need to open to a certain height. This is a function of setting proper "lash" at each rocker arm.
If either of these is wrong then you won't have good compression.

2. Timing also refers to having the spark take place at a predictable time as the piston is compressing. This is primarily done by the CDI which you can't adjust but there is also the "pulsar" coil, which you can't adjust either but it can become loose or corroded and that will affect spark timing.

I took the trouble to write all this not to be officious or to insult you but to give you other things to consider. Because...I mean...if it doesn't BARK on starting fluid, the use of which I HATE by the way, then something is really out of whack here!

Three questions:
Are you working with a shop manual or just wingin' it?
Are you POSITIVE that you have been sold the correct replacement carburetor?
Did you have the throttle open some when you tried the starting fluid?

I hate starting fluid (ether) because it is a #1 engine killer. Used improperly it WILL damage your engine the very first time it gets a "taste" of that sh:t! So be CAREFUL.

Good afternoon.

I do have the service manual. I checked the timing the best i could with the flywheel still on. That being said the timing mark on the flywheel is visible on the top of the fly wheel with out having to remove it. I put the engine cylinder # 1 on top dead center and both the crank and cam gears are lining up where they are supposed to be. I rotated the engine 3 more full cycles and they are lining up each time.

Well then it seems we're back to no fuel as the timing sounds good.

You didn't answer my question about the carburetor numbers matching up.

You also don't indicate if you remembered to open the throttle some when trying the starting fluid.

I would also be looking at valve adjustment and doing a compression
test at this point.

Is this a recent purchase? Was it submerged at some point?

Sorry, more questions than anseers here???

Good Morning.

I purchased this motor probably less than a year ago. When purchase I replaced the Carburetor, Water Pump, Thermostat, Spark plugs, and a complete brand new wire harness ( see previous thread I started a couple months back.

( http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...a-9-9-four-Stroke-wont-stay-running-sometimes).

After all the above this motor was running great and had no Issues until what i described happened when i started this post.

The Carburetor is the same part number that I purchased before and they look Identical.

Throttle was held open when I used Starting fluid.

Was not submerged that i know of.

I can do a compression test and post the results.

Back