Logo

Anodes in exhaust manifold Perkins 4.107

Magnus Hultin

I am renovating my DPA injection pump and in the process of dismounting, the exhaust anifold had to come off.

While waiting for the pump in return I thought I´d overlook the manifold. It has in total 4 threaded plugs of which one seems to inclode an anode. This one will not come off.

Is it recommendable to have zink anodes (I think they are referred to as "pencil anodes") in the fresh water part of the system?
If so, I guess I can replace one of the orther plugs with one fitted with an anode?

The (what I believe is) anode:
manifold_anode.JPG
Manifold with anode to the left and regular plug (3/8 threaded) to the right
manifold.JPG

Attachments

• manifold_anode.jpg
    manifold_anode.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 217
  • manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 160
To remove a rusty steel plug, nut, bolt, an impact wrench works much better than breaker bar, pipe wrench, etc. Often wrenching on a rusted bolt will twist the head off. Most rental stores have a electric impact wrench.What works better than penetrating oil is an oil that includes a mild acid. I use Kearney Rust Cutter. Sometimes at Amazon or eBay. It's made for steel bolts for power transmission linemen and works fast.
I've never used or seen a zinc in the coolant side of marine diesels up to 3000 hp. Salt water is a natural electrolyte, but fresh doesn't carry current well. It could be it's there for some application that uses raw water cooling.

Attachments

• Kearney_Rust_Cutter.jpg
    Kearney_Rust_Cutter.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 133
Thanks for Your input Lepke.

Since it is a heat exchanged system with freshwater/coolant mix running through the manifold, plus I see no indication of material degradation in the area after 52 years of use, I think I´ll just leave it there.

Never seen a zinc pencil on the closed side of a marine cooling system.....

A torch is another friend when it comes to free-ing rusted fasteners.....as is Kano's KROIL

Back