Logo

2000 Honda 130 cranks but wont start

Vinegardc5

So I purchased a new to me boat ran it and it ran fine. The previously owner let it sit for a year. Has about 1200 hrs. i did all the servIcing lower unit/water impeller/sparkplugs/. The boat was propped wrong and I could not get on plane til about 4200 and the max rpm at full throttle was 5k. So here’s when the problems started happening. Anything above 4300 for about 2-3 minutes it would suck the primer bulb flats at home under no load 4300 and above was fine. No problem I changed the vent hose fuel filters/fuel lines had the same problem.vst pin gets stuck fuelnleaks removed it had a micro piece of gravel in it cleaned it no more leaking out the side of the motor. Removing the vst the fuel was clean. As I look at the fuel tank I could see someone tried to removed the antisophon valve to no success as it was stripped I got that removed and replaced. Getting ready for sea trial tilt motor goes out. Removed it sent it out for rebuild received it two weeks later got it installed. Battery was going dead got that replaced. Lubed the steering changed the prop. Changed the fuel filter inside the motor. Thinking I have everything dialed in for the sea trial. Started it at home took a couple primes because I removed the fuel filter. Ran a little rough at idle rpms I didn’t think nothing of it because it did do that sometimes I thought it was just a fuel issues. Finally sea trial got it to the dock launched the boat parked it. Parked the truck come to the boat and it’s off. Crank it couple times boat starts then shuts off. Check the fuel filter nothings in it got it it fully primed with fuel in now with the primer bulb hard as a rock cranks won’t turn over. Got it to the mechanic as he sometimes does the basic servicing on my brothers whaler. He checks all the fuel lines make sure there’s pressure. Checks vst fuel pump it turns on for two seconds. Key position on it beeps twice. Check the kill switch near the ignition it’s fine. Now he moved on to spark. He removed a spark plug and connected to the wire as I cranked and he said it’s weak spark. Orange in color and should be blue. He said to replace the ignition coil 30500-zw5-003 and 30550-zw5-003. I’m just stumped because the whole time as I owned the boat I was having fuel problems. I can do the basics and mechanically inclined but dealing with electrical I’m clueless. I tried looking for a Honda mechanic in San Diego. But haven’t found a reputable shop yet. Im stumped and just want to get this motor running. Any help will be appreciated

Last edited:
Your description is confusing , so now it rolls over on the starter but doesn’t start?

It ran fine on a separate fuel tank, but now doesn’t start?

So when I had the fuel issue I read online to to run the motor on a seperate tank so I did that and the boat ran fine that’s how I knew it was the anti siphon valve. Just trying to give all the info I can. As of now the boat cranks but wont turn on/ fire up

Hi Vin,
After reading all that you listed it seems to me that you still have a fuel supply problem. The "orange" spark aside, it's still a spark and, even if it is on the weak side, I think you should get at least some sputtering if she's getting fuel. Anyway, Honda ignitions don't typically produce a hot, highly visible spark when testing them the way your mechanic did. I could write you a big explanation as to why but, for now, just trust me on that point.

Anyway, a quick way to prove me right or wrong would be to introduce propane gas into the intake and see if she'll run. It's safe and fairly easy to do if you have a helper.
Propane is an excellent test fuel because it's already vaporized and mixes easily with the ambient air (oxygen) to form a combustible ratio of about 14 to 1. Very near that of gasoline. That's why we run things like fork lifts, generators and golf carts on the stuff.

All you need to do would be to assess what you need to do to deliver it to the throttle body. I use a common plumbing torch with a screw on propane bottle. I removed the soldering tip from the torch and slipped a 1.5 ft. long hose over the torch pipe.
I can snake that hose into most intake ducting to get the end close to the throttle body.

Once you've set that up, disconnect your gas supply line, have someone crank the engine with the throttle open about 1/4 and open the gas valve. If it's got spark it will start almost immediately. If it does, then you probably still have some gremlins in that fuel tank.

Have you tried starting it again on the remote tank? That would be something else you could try if you haven't already.

Just remember, the propane thing won't work unless you open the throttle a bit.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Well, that's discouraging. But I still recommend trying propane to see if it will run that way. If so, it indicates a lack of fuel. If not then your mechanic may be right about the coils. However, I would take apart and clean all related electrical connectors and grounds before buying any parts.

Good luck.

I want to thank you guys for all your help. I finally got back into town from work and worked on the boat I pulled apart the vst and the needle/pin was stuck cleaned it filled the vst with gas and put it back together. Primed it and the motor turned over. Left it running for 25-30 mins on the hose then went for a sea trial it ran great no hiccups as of yet lol but now it idles way smoother than before

That's great news!
Glad you got it sorted out.
Now......
..................Go...........and..........

HAVE FUN!

Back