Logo

timing belt cover

Orthas

Hey all

I am looking at getting a timing belt cover for my aq140a engine. Now I know it is a red block b21 out of the volvo 240 and similar cars. My question is, can I use one of the car ones and modify it to fit or are there not the mounting fittings on the aq???

Thanks

Hey all

I am looking at getting a timing belt cover for my aq140a engine. Now I know it is a red block b21 out of the volvo 240 and similar cars. My question is, can I use one of the car ones and modify it to fit or are there not the mounting fittings on the aq???

Thanks

May I ask you why you want to do this?
Do you have concerns about the belt being open and exposed?

Last edited:
A cover like that would require quite a bit of modification.
Not to mention that all of the AQ series OHC 4s have a heat exchanger mounted in that area.
Every Volvo Penta AQ series OHC 4 is equipped like that, and with a partially open and exposed timing belt.

I will tell him not to worry, He was kinda insistent but like I say that's the way they all are so will keep it as is. Thanks

May I ask you if this guy a Marine engine mechanic, or is he an automotive engine mechanic?

I would suggest that you not allow anyone without true Marine experience to work on this engine.
Not all crosses over, and a mistake could end up being very costly.

For one example..... ignition timing is quite different from that of the auto version. An automotive advance curve will damage this engine.

More examples would be;
.... the stern drive gear oil. You no doubt have an s/p drive. Heavy gear oil will damage the slinger pump impeller drive pins.
.... automotive Never-Seez should not be used below the water line.
.... cooling water must be applied before running the engine, or seawater pump impeller damage may occur.

Just a word to the wise.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Back