Logo

Oh oh lots of steam

jclays

Regular Contributor
Warming up my twin 350’s while cleaning the boat. Engines running at 2000rpm for a few minutes. Running smoothly. Turned around and saw a lot of steam coming from starboard exhaust. No water exiting the exhaust. Shut it down. Engine too hot to mess with anything. Will start looking tomorrow.

Engines running at 2000 rpm for a few minutes. ................... No water exiting the exhaust.

Two minutes without cooling water may have caused some damage.

Suggestions:

Pull things apart and look for signs of interior blistering on the exhaust couplers/bellows.
You will also want to retrieve any impeller vanes/blades that may have come loose and may have become lodged within the system.

Need to find why no water. two weeks ago ran great. Good water flow. Two weeks latter started engine to warm up and no water flow. Both pumps spin with the engine running. Nothing unusual. Need to pull intake to thru hull strainer to see if I sucked up a plastic bag or somehow blocked. Not sure what else would happen instantly at start up.

I have had two experiences with what I believe were ice bags (discarded overboard)…..the last one was a while back but at cruise.....the smoke trail was less than 100 yards long when I shut off the engines....took out both hoses coming off the elbows....and we changed the impeller while it was apart.....

I have had two experiences with what I believe were ice bags (discarded overboard)…..the last one was a while back but at cruise.....the smoke trail was less than 100 yards long when I shut off the engines....took out both hoses coming off the elbows....and we changed the impeller while it was apart.....
Hoses of of the elbows?? Exhaust ?

Fixed. Removed intake hose from they hull. Opened shutoff valve. No water. Probing with large screw driver and felt an obstruction. Started working the screw driver and broke the obstruction. Plenty water now flowing.

Were you able to see what the blockage was? I would be tempted to dive and make sure its completely clear before running her to far.

Hoses of of the elbows?? Exhaust ?
Yes, any exhaust "couplers" or "bellows" that may have seen exhaust gasses without cooling water.
Without cooling water, these parts no doubt saw high temperatures in that 2 - 3 minutes @ 2k RPM.

Fixed. Removed intake hose from they hull. Opened shutoff valve. No water. Probing with large screw driver and felt an obstruction. Started working the screw driver and broke the obstruction. Plenty water now flowing.
Did you look at the seawater pump impeller on that engine?
Even a 2 minute run without water most likely damaged it.

Were you able to see what the blockage was? I would be tempted to dive and make sure its completely clear before running her to far.
It was some sort of white calcification very hard but crumbled when I started jabbing it with a large screw driver. I was going to call my diver to pay better attention on the intakes and thru hulls.

Back