Logo

1992 Johnson 200 GT not firing

ns.matt419

Please help! I’ve sent my 1992 Johnson 200 GT to a mechanic because it wasn’t running right, was told that the stator was bad and that the power pack was bad as well. The motor was only running on 3 cylinders when I took it to him. He replaced the parts. While he had it, a part that allows you to adjust the timing broke. I’ve been looking for that part and I don’t know what it’s called because it’s not on these parts lists. Anyway, it now won’t even fire at all. I really need help. Could it be out of time? Did he get a bad part even though they were supposed to be new parts (CDI)? Help!!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the mechanic stopped working on it. He gave up. I’ve got to try and figure it out myself or find another mechanic. I’m gonna try myself first. I’ve ordered the manual for my engine from here.

In replacing two very expensive parts (Stator & P/Pack), then breaking something that allows you to adjust the timing? Did you receive a large bill to pay to get your engine back that is now in worse condition then what he started with? If so, you should sue him in small claims court!

Standing in back of the engine, facing the spark plugs, the right side of the engine would be Starboard, the left side Port. Your original problem or running on just 3 cylinders, if the missing side was Starboard, could have simply been a malfunctioning Shift Interrupt Switch.

No, thankfully I didn’t have to pay any more than the original $300 for starting the work. He left the new parts on and gave me my old parts as well as put another timer base on it. I guess you could say I thought he was being nice to me for not charging me for those new parts but I don’t know. I’m not sure what side was firing and what side wasn’t. I will find out. Thank you.

Back