Logo

1963 Envinrude 3302S Rebuild

doylle

Hello everybody,

after watching a ton of Dangar Marine videos over the last year I wanted to have a go at rebuilding an old engine too, to learn how they work and have a project for the wintermonths :). I found an 3302s for $30 that looked to be in good shape (as far as i could tell), so that seemed like a good candidate. As a bonus, it turned out this particular engine was build in Belgium, where I was born, so that's kinda neat. Even though it's probably not worth a whole lot, I would really like to get it running again. I should get the service manual in the mail sometime next week.

My game-plan is to do a complete tear-down, rebuild the carb, clean all the parts thoroughly, and then re-assemble it with all new gaskets and new hardware where need. I just pulled out the pistons and crankshaft tonight, so it's about as disassembled as it'll get I think. I noticed a few things while taking things apart, so I was hoping you could help answer some questions I had.

First of, the top cylinder had an insane amount of soot/gunk buildup everywhere. When i took the exhaust plate of it was caked all over the interior, and the piston had quite a bit of buildup as well. The head gasket looked fine as far as I can tell. Is this a common issue, or does anyone know what might be causing this? I saw people mention soot can buildup if the engine runs to rich, but this was a really thick layer in some areas.

Additionally, the waterjacket is pretty packed with salt/residue. I live in the PNW, so I'm not sure where this engine was used exactly, in fresh or salt water. Any advice on how to clean all the galleries other than taking time with a small brush?

and finally, my biggest concern is that both cylinders have a little bit of pitting in them. It's near the top and very shallow, but when I run my finger across it i can definitely feel it, it's not as smooth as the rest of the cylinder. I suspect the engine had been sitting for a long time, and oxidation got to it. I understand that in general any defects on the cylinder wall would be a big no-no. But I don't suspect the engine will really be used heavily again. My hope is just to get it running again, and play with the carburetor a bit when it's all together. In essence, if everything else on the engine was in working condition, how long would you be able to run this engine before it eats a piston ring or something...

thanks for the help!

-Jeroen

Soot-Buildup.jpg pitting.JPG

Before you spend time and money on this engine check parts availability. The pitting in cylinder wall is from engine setting and rusting. When it was ran again the rings knocked /wore the rust off which wears the rings. The cylinders needs bored do to the pitting and wear shadow at cylinder top. If you "mike" the cylinders you going to see them worn tapered. Also low compression will build up soot do to incomplete combustion.

Right, you have to think about doing it right, or doing it "half-assed". This may run with new STD pistons and rings, but I would bore it and go oversize. Only a difference of the machine work.....about 100 bucks. It depends on how the bearings look as well as the rest of the motor in general. More pictures would help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back