Logo

Looking for wiring help 94 Force

robertw

A friend picked up a 1994 Merc Force 70 3-cyl. Outboard that someone else attempted to get running (not a pro) and may have substituted parts. The shop my friend usually uses would not work on it once they saw wire nuts, etc. Now I have it. Condition no spark. Not sure of the last time it ran or how many people tried to get it running before me.

I picked up a force manual for the correct year, but it does not describe the stator that I appear to have. All diagrams in the manual appear to have a stator with 2 yellows, one red, and a blue wire. This stator installed is red with an adapter connected to it. Wire colors from stator are 2 yellows, white with green, and green with white. The adapter has the two green/white colors, a black ground, and a blue wire.

I do not have a red wire.

The regulator appears to have been replaced with one that has two red wires. One of these is connected to the switch box red.

When comparing the manual to what I have, I would believe the stator is incorrect. I did read in a forum, however, a testing procedure for a red stator with the wires that I have. It is possible the stator is correct but the adapter is wrong.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I get a correct wiring diagram somewhere that correctly shows these wires and adapter?
2. Is the adapter correct? Seems to me that there should be blue and red wires.
2. Is it easier changing the stator? I am not worried about the 265.00 if I can get this to run.

Thanks for help in advance.

If?? you bought a Clymer or Seloc manual???
Then you wasted $$
Here's a link to the right manual. $25
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Force-Outb...828756?hash=item28813b24d4:g:zowAAOSwMjBdLf9g[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

The 94 70hp is kinda the franken Force/Mercury mess.
That year was the year they started changing to all Mercury ignition and control parts.
You can have a Force with Mercury or Force ignition.

You'll need a factory manual.

The stator: it can be Force, Mercury, or an aftermarket by CDI

The test for the stator and regulator can be found at outboardignitiondotcom

Try to post some pics of the ignition system.
You'll need to use a photo sharing system as you'll need 5 posts to add pics as a member.

Thanks for getting back to me. As for the manual, I do have the OEM 1991-1995 version for the 70HP. This is actually the third manual I have purchased for this. I agree that Clymer is useless for my situation.
My manual shows Wiring Diagram (page 2C-54), Diagram for type II ignition system, and Wiring Diagram - Early Design (2C-56), all of which show stators with the same color wiring (2X yellow, red, and blue). Unless I am missing something, my red stator wiring diagram is not here.

As for the pictures, I will try to provide tomorrow if possible.

I believe I can test the individual components. My main concern right now is whether it is wired properly.

Thanks again.

Bestt way is include the model/serial # if possible.

Does it have 2 power packs and 3 coils
Or 1 pack?
More than likely you'll have the single pack.

Myself I haven't had many doings with the 70 hp.
None of my manuals have the diagram.

You can ask on iBoats another Force forum.

I tried to find that manual on eBay and nothing would come up and yes I did waste my money buying what only I could find a Seloc manual. agree, not a very good Manuel. Wish I could find the one you are speaking if.
Steve,

Back